Forums Latest Members

Pure Fantasy (F1) Racing League - Omega Forums 2016

1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 27, 2016

I've been running a team in this fantasy league with another watch forum for a few years but I don't really post there any more and there wasn't much 'chat' last season so figured I'd set a league up here and see if anyone is interested.

I should have checked with bosses here first, I guess, but haven't :oops: so if you gents have any problem with me naming a league "Omega Forums 2016" then please let me know and I'll delete/change it.

PFRL had a few issues with Mr. Ecclestone's men in black a couple of years ago so you won't see anything on the site that mentions that it is based on "Eff Juan" ;) nudge nudge but all of the teams and driver options use the real names once again.

If you are interested please go to: PFRL.net and have a look around.

To create a team you will have to use an $80 million budget to buy
    Principal/Team manager
    Driver 1
    Driver 2
    Driver 3 (often only comes into play later in the season. keep your eyes open ;))
    Chassis
    Engine
    Tyres

It's a bit tricky coming in under budget at first and you won't be able to have every option you initially want.
    There is a guide to how many points each selection is 'expected' to win/earn each race. (Proj. Pts) which is displayed as you pick each selection.

You are allowed unlimited changes prior to the first race so don't stress too much at this stage.

Once you are registered and have created a team then please join the league "Omega Forums 2016" which I have set up as a private individual league. The password is ulackspeedy. :cool:

Once things get under way you are allowed three changes prior to each race.
    Values of each component, and correspondingly your team budget, changes due to prior performance.
    There can be a big change in pricing prior to Race 4, I believe, if one component is seriously over or under priced and that can result in your team suddenly becoming over budget.

The other thing to do prior to each race is to guess/predict the qualifying grid position of each of your drivers and also predict the fastest lap time of the actual race. There are 'bonus' points for this and it can make a big difference to your score.

There is a 'Secrecy' option which will cost you $1m or 10 points per race or you can just leave your team selections to the very last minute :D. Just before the start of Free Practice 3, I think. There is a countdown clock on the top right of each page on pfrl.net letting you know how long until pit lane closes.
    Currently we have just short of 20 days.

There are a few other little things like having to use each type of tyre at least five times in the season and I have set up a mini "League Cup" for the top 8 teams after race 18, but lets see if any of you are interested first :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Ian (SpeediEmeister)

2. ulackfocus Feb 27, 2016

I like it when the members can give as good as they get. ;)

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 28, 2016

I'm in, I'll sign up tomorrow.

4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 29, 2016

vintage-racing-chequered-flag.jpg

Alright?, Bonjour, Buongiorno, Guten Morgen to our Euro Members
    Why not while away your commute or ease yourself into your working week by entering an F1 fantasy team.
    :D

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 29, 2016

Can I race with solar powered cars? Or bio-diesel? Or car-pool? Or public transport?

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 29, 2016

It's your fantasy!
    $80 million won't get you very far on public transport [emoji6]

7. abrod520 Feb 29, 2016

I'd play, but I'll be watching the ::popcorn:: action in WEC / IMSA instead. You see, I'm more interested in car racing than I am in 200mph parades :p

8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 29, 2016

Fair call :oops:

To be honest I've only done this for the past two years to keep some kind of connection to a sport that I loved as a kid in the 70's and 80's.
    Free to Air TV coverage of F1 in Australia became a joke last year. A real shame as Aussie TV used to really pride itself in it's motorsport.
    I think we were promised 10 live races initially but they didn't pick a schedule and you were left guessing right up to each race weekend whether it would be televised. In the end I don't think we got anywhere near 10 races. We certainly didn't get the qualifying later in the season and I had to make do with f1.com's live-ish feed, which only held any interest because I had predicted 'my' drivers grid positions.
    If we didn't get a live race we were supposed to get an hour of "highlights" on a Monday night. Even this didn't happen for some races and those that did often included 20 minutes of 3 day old interviews. ::screwloose::

I haven't done any homework on this season yet.
    The only 'rumour' I've heard is that the slowest car every 90 seconds of qualifying will be eliminated "mid session". Sounds insane ::screwloose:: , impractical and frankly dangerous. :(

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 29, 2016

I'm still a big McLaren and Fernando Alonso fan, poor guy deserves to have more titles than Seb by now but has the worst luck in driver history picking teams. Danny Ric and Redbull are my number 2.

Really hoping that McLaren can at least drag themselves up this year, testing tomorrow with the Mk2 version of the 2016 Honda should at least show us how far they are back, I reckon the MP4-31 could already be on par with Merc and RedBull and definitely is one of the best chassis on the grid, its just going to a matter of whether Honda can pull their heads out of their asses and make up the ground this year and next.

Thankfully I've got Foxtel so the SkyF1 coverage is pretty excellent, I watch every practice and qualifying (just to watch my team break down it seems last year).

ock2915 and Foo2rama like this.
  10. abrod520 Feb 29, 2016

I live in the United States and I love sportscar racing. I think I've got you beat on the "shitty coverage" contest! :p (Except me = :( )

Ever since Fox Sports bought Speedvision - they bump coverage of the 24 Hours of Le Mans for women's under-21 soccer. The 12 Hours of Sebring becomes the Two Hours of Highlights a Week Later because NASCAR practice (not even qualifying) must be watched live.

The only bonus is that they've picked up WEC coverage, since I guess there's no MMA commentary necessary at 7am here in the States.

As to F1 being a parade - well, it kind of is, but I joke! I have friends who love F1 and I enjoy needling them about how boring it's become. Unfortunately WEC is heading in that direction as they race on lots of Tilke tracks now.... :(

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 29, 2016

I'm in where is everyone else?

12. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 4, 2016

Maldonado-Gutierrez.jpg

Maldonado says "BUMP"

Two weeks until the opener in Melbourne.
    Don't leave me and Mr. Foo in a two horse race.
    Please. :unsure:

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

I've actually only just started watching some NASCAR recently, its not as bad as I always thought it was but the level of advertising intrusion is pretty extreme even when broadcast here in Australia.

We get pretty good coverage on paytv here so I watch most things, WEC, F1, GP2, GP3, Blancpain GT series etc, sadly we don't get American endurance racing events like this here:

14. abrod520 Mar 4, 2016

I have trouble finding interest in races where either the cars are spec'd, or where they only turn in one direction - even the Indy 500, as important as it still is, isn't something I can sit and watch.

No wonder you're only aware of the small-time stuff then:

15. lando Mar 6, 2016

Have joined. Let's see how this works out.

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. West Slope Mar 7, 2016

I will join in but it sounds like you guys should be watching WSBK and Moto GP (or the AMA or British championship) if you want to see some good racing. The opening round of World Superbike was incredible last weekend, never mind it being on one of my favorite tracks. Moto GP opening race is coming soon and also on an amazing circuit.....

F1 for me always over promises and under delivers but every year I try again to care.

17. lando Mar 7, 2016

How are points awarded? Do they take the results of the race weekend (i suppose)?

18. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 8, 2016

Points are awarded for both qualifying and the actual race.
    More specific details here:
    http://pfrl.net/FRL/1/PFRL_Rules5.asp?KID=&LA=En&ID=0

If your team choices do well then their value goes up after the race and you then have extra dollars available to upgrade "components" prior to the next race.

19. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 12, 2016

Melbourne.jpg

One week until it all takes off again in Melbourne. Six days until pit lane closes.

Thanks to Foo2rama :thumbsup: and lando :thumbsup: we will at least have a full podium :(
    Was hoping for a full grid ::confused2::

Any more takers? West Slope?
    Or are you all waiting for Free Practice? :D

20. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Mar 12, 2016

The best racing experience you can have is your local short track. Most let you walk through the pits before hand. Dirt tracks are the finest as you get to wear the track home at no extra cost. Cost is nothing, racing is great, race it like you stole it is the motto. Just bring back the steering wheel if you don't get the trophy. Kids to old men. Nothing beats it.