Forums Latest Members
  1. AEERNK20 Jan 19, 2020

I have recently been given the go ahead by my better half to purchase a watch. I have been looking through Omega forums and looking at watches for about a year and would really like to purchase a Speedmaster 3592.50. I have a few questions about specifics to look for. I should also specify that I have no plans to ever sell the watch and in fact am planning on giving it to my son someday.

-How important are the original box and papers, is this a necessity and worth the value?
    -Aside from normal wear and tear, any other things I should be looking at in regards to details of the watch?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been covered in other threads, I did go back a number of pages, but nothing really answered my specific questions. Thank you.

2. Theluglife Jan 19, 2020

For me, box and papers are nice to have but not essential. You cant wear them and they just end up in the cupboard. They don't necessarily prove that the watch is genuine or completely original so I think that their purpose is purely for completeness to collectors. If you can find a example AND it comes with box and papers for not too much of a premium then go for it.

whyboddau likes this.
  3. whyboddau Jan 20, 2020

Totally agree with @Theluglife. A true complete set is rare and not really useful. Boxes of that era and age become crumbly in my experience. Hate that actually.

4. whyboddau Jan 20, 2020

On a side note: good choice looking for a 3592.50. One of my favorite models! Good luck!

5. Pilot85 Jan 20, 2020

If your plan is to keep it forever and pass it along to your son and it is not for collection then box and papers is extra price you really dont need.

Well this model is not that "old" so should not be so difficult to find with all it's right components.

But my advice will be to either continue this thread with some photos of the watch you intend to buy and many will help to tell you if its correct or not. Or make a new one.

Good luck with the hunt!!

6. AEERNK20 Jan 20, 2020

Pilot85 likes this.
  7. Pilot85 Jan 20, 2020

That dealer is good.

Are you based in USA?

if I was you I would be looking for this reference but with tritium Dial. It will have a lovely patina and more vintage look. But that’s my taste, not yours. ;)

Do you want that particular 863 Rhodium platted mov?

8. AEERNK20 Jan 20, 2020

I would also like the Tritium Dial, I would assume you are referencing the dial which has a more gold tone/hue? Yes, I am in the US, so any recommendations are appreciated. Below is a link to a watch I believe has the tritium dial. However, my concern was whether the minute hand was original as it doesn't quite meet the minute marks, so again your input on authenticity is appreciated.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/spee...ndwich-359250-stainless-steel--id13652233.htm

9. Pilot85 Jan 20, 2020

The main difference in the bottom of the dial.
    You have T SWISS MADE T
    On the first link of chrono24 is without the T.
    In this second link the hands for the watch match the patina on the Dial so looks OK for me.
    Of course more quality and zoomed photos will help you better.
    Second link is reserved unless is you ;)

10. Socks Jan 20, 2020

11. Lazy_Lightning Jan 20, 2020

$4,750 seems high for this reference.

I also agree with the other members who suggested a Tritium dial/hands. Gives more character and can be had at a decent price.

12. weimi1 Jan 20, 2020

Edited Jan 20, 2020
  13. Sreedmaster Mar 25, 2020

I appreciate everyone's input! good reading :)

I'm wondering if anyone has a lead on a seller who deals with speedmasters – I'm looking for a 3590.50 (1992). I found my ideal watch on Chrono24 in wonderful condition with box and papers (which are negligible), but prices seem to be high on their site. This seller was willing to sell for ~4,700 + VAT + Customs Tax. I've been on Reddit (r/watchexchange) and watchrecon, but new to the second-hand watch market! Any advice for other places to look? Thanks!

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/359250-apollo-xi-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch--id14508486.htm

14. High Hope Mar 25, 2020

The watch is sold.