Forums Latest Members

Purchasing my first Omega Aqua Terra

1. Lindkent May 29, 2014

Hello all

I am new to this forum and also a total noob in the art of horology and looking at purchasing my first watch.

I am really interested in the Aqua terra and would like to know if there is anything I need to look out for when purchasing.
    What movements have been used in the aqua terra range over the years and does anyone have any reference pictures so that I know what it should look like
    Are there any tell tale signs of a fake?
    Is this a good place to start my collection and what should I be paying for it?

Any info on this watch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

2. ulackfocus May 29, 2014

The new AT has the caliber 8500 and is available in 38.5 and 41 mm sizes. I've got the blue dialed 38.5 mm version, nicknamed the 'Skyfall'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old AT has the caliber 2500 inside and came in 36, 39, 41, and XXL 49 mm. I used to own a blue dialed 36 mm version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new caliber 8500 seems to be having an issue with one of the two mainspring barrels in some watches. It's being repaired under warranty and the watch still runs, just for half the stated reserve time. The old caliber 2500 was prone to stopping suddenly, which was something to do with the lubrication on the escapement because of modifying the co-axial into a 2 plane system instead of it's intended 3 planes like in the 8500. All in all, I'm happier with the new AT.

3. NT931 May 29, 2014

Welcome Lindkent! My first 'nice' watch was an 38.5mm Aqua Terra 8500, similar to the Skyfall but in teak-grey, and it started me down the whole slippery slope of watch collecting and here I am now ;)

There are several articles / threads/ blogs about the 2500 and the 8500 ATs which I'm sure you're already read. Positive comments include versatility, accuracy, double-AR, display back, comfy bracelets etc. Some negative comments about the thickness, the lack of micro-adjustment (half-links used instead), the occasional tendency of the half-link to get briefly stuck. But I'm sure there are more positives than negatives, and I absolutely love mine! (so I'm inherently biased...:whistling: )

[​IMG]

I guess the first thing you have to decide is size and colour. Also, may I assume from your questions that you're thinking of buying pre-owned? If you are, then buy from a reputable seller. And if you'd like to check if an AT you've shortlisted is fake or genuine, the expertise on this forum will be of great help.

kelly1 likes this.
  4. bigdubnick May 29, 2014

Same as NT931 - the AT is was my gateway drug to the Omega world. I have the 42mm sized silver dialed version with cal. 2500. Haven't had any issue with it, though my tastes have changed (evolved?) since buying it and find myself a fan of watches at or just under 40mm. I have a 7.75" wrist and large size AT wears big due to the lugs. Never had an issue with the sudden stop problem Dennis (and others) has referenced.

Encourage you to do a good deal of reading on this forum and look through a ton of pictures (the WRUW thread here is great) to find the look you want then dial in the size you feel best fits. This place is great for helping you vet the ones you are ready/willing to buy so you can make an educated purchase.

Happy hunting - Nick

photo.JPG

5. Lindkent May 30, 2014

Thanks guys, your watches look amazing!

I am trying to hold back my excitement at getting my first real grown up time piece and take my time and get something I will love for years. I have been looking into the vintage market as well but I have heard it can be a bit more tricky.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 30, 2014

Ive got the skyfall like dsio and love it
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kelly1 likes this.
  7. NT931 May 30, 2014

Lindkent, if you're looking for a first AT to buy, the Skyfall is a great choice. The colour of the dial is amazing!

Grab one now before Omega makes all the ATs sport polished centre links...:eek:

8. ctime3 May 30, 2014

I have the aqua terra anti magnetic. I love it. Private message me if you have any questions. You might want to wait for the master co axial being placed in a new line of aqua Terra's. This is everything in the 8500 movement but it adds the anti magnetic too.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2014

Think you mean Dennis, I don't actually have any cal 8500/9300s atm

CanberraOmega likes this.
  10. Jim Apr 12, 2015

11. Jim Apr 12, 2015

I absolutely love mine. I have the 41.5mm with the blue dial. It is very accurate, probably +/- 2 seconds a day. The bracelet came with every other link polished and I had the dealer brush them so all of the links looked the same. They did it for free. Of course that's just personal preference. I think the dial is one of the best looking out there, and I find myself looking down at it frequently just because I enjoy the view! You can wear it equally well with shorts and a Tee Shirt or with a suit and tie. I wore it snorkeling in Hawaii with no problems. I own a Breitling Day and Date, an Omega Speedmaster Pro, and this one. I really like them all, but this is my favorite. Of course it doesn't hurt that James Bond wore it!

PatrickJ and watchme like this.
  12. PatrickJ Apr 12, 2015

Amazing looking dial. The 8500, is this a totally manufactured in house movement or does Omega utilise recourses from ETA? I would love one of these in the future but from my understanding Omega have been working towards in house movements independent from ETA for a while or are they there already?

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 12, 2015

Buy it. Skyfall. Awesome. No regrets.

IMG_20150404_081340~2.jpg

logan2z, PatrickJ and watchme like this.
  14. nima0071 Apr 12, 2015

Skyfall the only way. Skyfall.jpg