Purchase Advice - Ck 2886 - Reprinted Dial (Damaged Dial)?

Hello all. I have been looking at making an offer on a watch recently and would like all of your advice. The watch is as far as I can tell a CK 2886 biased on serial number of the movement, the shape of the lugs and the 'Waterproof' caseback.
ck2886dialside.jpg

As you can see the watch has a few issues. The case has been polished a few times and has lost a lot of definition on the lugs. The lume was likely replaced at some point and has aged to a less attractive grey.

My real question for you all is about the dial. The seller is quite honest about the fact that the dial has been cleaned at some point. You can see on other examples of this watch that there used to be lume plots at the base of the applied hour markers and part of the track on the Tachymetric scale disappears between the 400 and the 170. Do you think this dial has been reprinted or was it just damaged when it went through a cleaning? Some of the printing looks a bit fuzzy but this could just be damage. The sub registers seem to have black circles around them which I do not see on other better preserved examples additionally none of them seem to have the word seamaster on the dial anywhere. I have not seen another watch with a blue tachymetric scale either.

Not a lot of info on these watches out there and I am struggling to find a lot of info on these pre-speedmaster chronos. Am I even looking at a ck 2886? How many dial variations are there out there for watches like this? If it helps the serial number is in the middle of the 15, 000, 000 range.

Appreciate any info or advice you can offer. I want to find a fair deal for me and the seller. Non-original is not a deal breaker so long as the price reflects the reality of the condition of the watch.

Caseback shot:
CK2886Caseback.jpg

Dial shot of a watch that traded hands in these parts a few years back:
KnownGood2886.jpg

That dial is such a redial...free advice - there are far better 321 non-Speedy's available FS if that is what you are looking out for. You are better off chasing those honestly.

That dial is such a redial...free advice - there are far better 321 non-Speedy's available FS if that is what you are looking out for. You are better off chasing those honestly.

Normally I would agree but one has to make concessions for budget reasons. Given that I have financial constraints I need to seek value where I can. I like the way this watch looks and I am fine never owning a watch that has an original Omega dial or a period correct bracelet. What this watch has is a wonderful condition 321 movement, established provenance, and a price that puts it in a place where I might have a shot at it.

The saying condition, condition, condition is good advice for a few reasons. 1. You are always going to have a hard time selling a watch that has issues. 2. You will never save more on a watch with issues than it takes to set those issues right again. 3. A watch that has issues in one area is almost a watch with issues in other areas that you have just had a chance to spot/experience yet.

My point is 1. I don't sell watches. I collect a lot of things and I am just not a flipper. I only buy stuff that I like and my preferences thankfully don't seem to change. 2. I am not fussed by the things I would need to 'fix' on this watch. I think the blue on the dial is nice and since I don't lupe my watches I doubt the printing will bother me. The defects on this watch are cosmetic and I am after the movement. This early 321 is the exact caliber that would have passed the NASA testing to be certified for manned space flight. It also represents the closest Omega movement to the ch 27c12 that is still used as a base caliber by Vacheron and Patek. 3. The seller has had the watch into a watch maker recently and I trust that the movement is in good condition (baised on the seller and the photos).

Its good to heed common advice but also good to know when the 'rules' don't apply to your circumstances.

Given that I have financial constraints I need to seek value where I can.

If that is a concern, you certainly would do your future self a favor and rather take whatever you would spend on this (care to share?) and put it towards something that does not have so many issues...taking time to potentially save a bit more, as well as to school yourself in these watches, and patiently wait for more to come to market, with the chance that you can really get value.
That dial is just ::facepalm2::::facepalm1::::facepalm2:: unfortunately. Lets say you buy this for 2k. It would need a service. Thats easily another 500 provided no parts need replacing. Then, because you now know its totally repainted, you can not unknow it...at some point, the odds are high it will start to bother you. You would by that stage have spent time, looking around, and likely seeing some better value specimens with original dials for round, say 3k. You likely will think to yourself 'damn, if I had that 2k + service money I spent on this watch, I could add a bit more, and get this other one, and hang on a bit for a service' ...by that stage its too late. You will not recoup the service costs...and you will have a hard time finding someone that is thinking as you are now, that is prepared to spend what you did, for you to recoup that back, so that you can get the watch you probably should have waited for in the first place. There is beauty (and value to be found) in wabi-sabi pieces ... but original ones. Imperfections can always give great pleasure. I agree, the CH27 family of movements is legendary as heck, but there are quite a lot of them around...

The second one pictured would be more in line with what I would be hunting for (maybe a bit less perfect, but still attractive).

Anyhow, thats just a 2c train of thought. Your money, your choice.

If that is a concern, you certainly would do your future self a favor and rather take whatever you would spend on this (care to share?) and put it towards something that does not have so many issues...

That is a some good and thoughtful advice. I appreciate you taking the time time to type it all out and give me the benefit of your experience. Without getting into to many details and straying to far from the watches part of a watch forum there are a few caveats that I have. In general everything that you have said is how I think and would advise someone else on this forum/in general.

I heartily second the advice just given. I have been collecting antique duck decoys for 25 years, long before I starting with watches. In that field originality and condition are essential even though the decoys were often overpainted before each season for better functionality, thus making original 100 yr old specimens quite scarce as you can imagine. But I will say that whenever I told myself that a lesser example was good enough and bought it, I ALWAYS ended up selling for less than I paid and regretted it. There is a large price scale in that market as in watches, but I found happiness collecting the best original examples in the price range I was comfortable. Having learned those lessons have I thoughtfully applied this wisdom to my watch collection? Honest answer is NOT ALWAYS, but trying…..

At the right price thats a nice watch ....... if your not an experienced collector.
What did that other watch go for. Bet your sorry you didn't buy that one !

At the right price thats a nice watch ....... if your not an experienced collector.
What did that other watch go for. Bet your sorry you didn't buy that one !

That watch sold in 2016 so its a but hard to make a comparison but if we wanted to compare anyways it would still be about 2.5 times as much as this watch will trade hands for. So honestly not really.

I have learnt this the hard way that, however modest or grand your resources might stretch, it is always best to wait for the most original specimen, calibrating your taste in brands/models to your pocket. There are far too many nice vintage chronos for under $2K or even under $1K if you search hard enough and are patient.

Final update for anyone that is doing research on these watches in the future. I ended up passing on the watch when a third part entered the conversation and offered $2,500 CAD. As I understand the watch will be a combination 50th birthday present and 35 years of service watch for a valued employee of a small business. Cute story!