Forums Latest Members

Pulling the trigger on a Seamaster ... Please help select an authorized outlet

1. cacofonix Aug 23, 2015

Hi All,

I must mention, first of all, that this forum has been very useful and replies have been super quick in my limited time here. I am planning to pull the trigger on this watch soon:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...-150-m/master-co-axial-38-5-mm/23113392103001

I went to a dealer here in CA today, and the dealer has quoted a price of $5000. The same watch is available for $3875 + 0.075 * $3875 (sales tax) = $4165 at authenticwatches.com online. I told the dealer about this, and they claim that online dealers offer their own warranty, but not an original factory Omega warranty. How true is this? Is getting a watch by going to the dealer any better than buying it online. Please share your experience with this, it will be very useful!

Thanks,
    cacofonix.

2. DAM Aug 23, 2015

He told you right. How much risk will you accept. None? Buy from the AD. Some? Grey market.

3. orbistat Aug 23, 2015

I've used my genuine Omega warranty once already and the watch isn't a year old yet, it's piece of mind of sorts, I'm happy I bought from an AD. Other things to consider is that you can just walk into an AD with a faulty watch and the warranty card without having to mess with claim forms, emails, shipping, insurance etc.

4. Which Watch Next Aug 23, 2015

I agree with the comments above regarding risk level and peace of mind. I have not purchased new from an online or grey market source only AD's, but I have purchased preowned. Which I think is even higher risk, and then had pieces serviced. It is just something I factor in. Now back to buying new. The seller mentioned above provides a warranty, not factory, but I have to wonder what the difference is. If the watch breaks you have their warranty. If they fail miserabley I can't amigine a repair that cost >$1k on a non chrono from an indy shop. Is Omega really sending out DOA, or that poor quality a watch? Gotta consider the odds of that...So, worst case you will still save some $$. But is it worth the potential aggravation? How this works in the real world, I do not know, but it is a risk I too have considered. Hope this helped.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 23, 2015

I somewhat disagree. Specially on the case of authenticwatches. I bought a speedy through them and sold it and transferred the warranty to the buyer. Buyer contacted them right away about regulating and loose spring bars etc and they did not have him jump through any hoops, he sent the watch and in a week he had it back. No hassle.

It all depends on the dealer but for me it is not justified to pay 25% more at the boutique if the dealer is reputable, and there are some reputable grey dealers. There are also plenty of nightmare stories posted about AD and Boutique dealings so, once again, nothing is certain.

I can only say of the dealers I've handled authenticwatches is good, jomashop ok, jazz time sucks. Bobs watches superb, simply superb ( but that's more for pre owned) HQ Milton also outstanding ( also for pre owned). I hear swissluxurywatches is good. I got my AT through the boutique and pretty much everything else through smaller shops and collectors.

Your money, your watch, your call. But quite often to me the savings are worth the small inconvineance. Maybe I got lucky so far.

Which Watch Next likes this.
  6. trama Aug 24, 2015

Holy carp that is such a standout nice watch good lord it makes me sick almost what with all that deep blue going on! image.jpg
    I went to an AD* for my Seamaster 300 coax straight lug jobby and got a free toiletry bag dude, you don't want to miss out on that kind of swag ;)

*boutique, whatever

Edited Aug 24, 2015
  7. ducatiti Aug 24, 2015

Recently purchased one but with a bracelet. Local AD here in San Jose, CA sold it to me for $4900 tax inclusive.

After two weeks, Omega sent me a collapsable travel bag, Omega book and a personalized letter on thick paper with My full name and all. Overall a great purchase experience from an AD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cacofonix Aug 24, 2015

Looks awesome! The AD quoted $4925 actually. She mentioned something about "shipping cost" of $75, so I added that in to make it $5000. I am leaning towards going with the AD ...

9. orbistat Aug 24, 2015

It's only about a week until the end of the month, I think you could buy that watch for $4,400 if you go in and mean business on the last day of the month. ;)

10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 24, 2015

Is this warranty thing company or country dependent? Because here in the UK grey dealers (C&W specifically) give full manufacturer's warranty, but they are simply brokers who buy from ADs elsewhere in the EU.

11. deelee Aug 24, 2015

Went to Tourneau in San Francisco over the weekend and Omega is pulling out of their store and everything is 25% off

12. djmusicman Aug 24, 2015

13. sengvin thinks there's free cheese on a mouse trap Aug 24, 2015

Lol got the same thing without buying anything minus the travel bag.
    I say go gray market if you can save more than 35% even if you have to service the watch with omega it is still worth it considering you buying authentic watch

Which Watch Next likes this.
  14. chunkythebulldog Aug 25, 2015

I've bought from C & W and like you always received manufacturers warranty. Can never understand people's arguments saying you won't get a warranty with a Grey watch as it just isn't true.

Tiny Iota likes this.
  15. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 25, 2015

Great. Not actually bought from them yet but am in conversation with them about a potential purchase and have seen testimony from other buyers. Maybe it's the difference between the way Greys operate in the EU and the States that causes the difference of opinion.

16. chunkythebulldog Aug 25, 2015

If you're dealing with Matthew you can always get another couple of % knocked off his first offer

17. cacofonix Aug 27, 2015

I've asked for $4750 from an AD in San Jose. Let's see if it goes through ... if not, I'll probably go with authenticwatches.com

18. cacofonix Aug 28, 2015

I closed this deal at $4750 from an AD here in San Jose. I am paying a premium of 14% on top of authenticwatches.com, but I guessed that's fair play for an original Omega warranty.

19. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 28, 2015

Congrats and enjoy your new watch.

20. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 28, 2015

Be sure to get the new box too!