Forums Latest Members

Protocol for buying watches

1. StupotStokie Oct 14, 2017

Hi All,

Great forum! Recently joined and I am looking to start a vintage collection (I currently have a speedy and a seamaster GMT).
    One thing I wanted to ask about was what protocol was regarding making a purchase from the forums.

I have sent a couple of messages to sellers but have not had any responses. Is this normal?
    Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Stu

2. Huus Oct 14, 2017

Hi Stu. Welcome to the forum.
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just you only joined last Wednesday and have no history here at all.
    Write something about yourself in the Great Big Introductions Thread (under Open Discussion) and involve yourself in some of the conversations going and things will fall into place for you. This is a discussion forum more then a sales forum. When contacting a seller use the PM system and state any feedback you may have on another forum.
    Good luck with it.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. lillatroll Oct 14, 2017

Hello,
    I don't think there is any protocol for buying watches here, the reason you may not of got any response could be the person has not seen your message or maybe it is because you are new here and not known yet. A lot of people on here want to buy and sell to people they feel they can "trust" and in order to do that you need to participate on the forum so people can get to "know" you. If you stick around and participate after a while people will tell more comfortable about trading with you.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 14, 2017

I think you have just been unlucky. Unless you are asking the seller to go out on a limb for example asking then to ship half way around the world or accept payment in some weird way then many sellers won't care that you are new. I know I wouldn't. Participate more and keep trying.

Make sure that you understand the abbreviations like FS, OHPF since there is no point chasing a watch already sold.

5. StupotStokie Oct 14, 2017

Huss et al,

Thanks for the considered responses and welcome advice!

Stu

6. IDXM Oct 14, 2017

Also, express what you’re looking for in the appropriate forum. I was asking about a Seamaster and a forum member offered me one. I was a little trepidatious but went ahead with the transaction and got this baby at a great price. 67060C2B-4159-4902-8D79-1DE80EEB3960.jpeg

7. wareagle35 Oct 14, 2017

It all comes down to who is willing to take a leap of faith.You can read feedback and see other deals but i prefer to talk to someone over the phone or in person.

StupotStokie and IDXM like this.
  8. panaitchrono Oct 14, 2017

I think it was the fact that the seller didn't saw your messages. If I'll want to sell an watch I'll talk with everyone who's interested and I don't see why anybody else don't do the same..I hope you are not from Nigeria and want to send you the watch upfront and pay after that..:)

9. peire06 Oct 15, 2017

Stu,

There is no specific protocol. Maybe the watches were sold when you inquired. Maybe the sellers were busy. I am sure that you will soon have a nice vintage collection. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your collection!

Peire06