Forums Latest Members
  1. alam Jan 26, 2016

What's the best way to protect the lugs against potential scratches while removing/installing straps/bracelets? I believe someone around here mentioned using tape on an old post - if so, what's recommended?

Is any of this stuff effective? http://www.ofrei.com/page227.html

I'd like to hear how the pros like @Archer and @Horlogerie tackle the removing/installation of straps (in addition to being extra careful) and their opinion of using some sort of protective cover like tape.

Thx!

::confused2::

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

tape, as much as you can tolerate :p

nickw likes this.
  3. alam Jan 26, 2016

thanks, what do you use?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

What ever I have, scotch tape, packing tape, masking tape, Czech rhino tape

alam likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 26, 2016

Pics!

6. nmttd2 Jan 26, 2016

Scotch tape works well. That stuff from Bergeon is used to wrap watches when they are being displayed.

alam likes this.
  7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 26, 2016

I use that Amber Polyiamide tape further down the O Frei page, only because I have it (leftover from days I polished watch cases, eek). It's adhesive enough it won't move, but doesn't leave a residue. I cut tiny pieces with my tiny Swiss Army knife scissors, and wrap the lug back, side, and front (in case the spring goes forward instead of back).
    I doubt it's any better than plain ol' masking tape. And it's expensive. But I use so little each time.

alam and wsfarrell like this.
  8. devnull Jan 27, 2016

Use a razor blade to remove the pin. Scratching the lug will be the least of your worries ;)

alam likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 27, 2016

I can take a spring bar off with some 10lb braided fishing line ( leather or NATO only) .

1) Wrap it around the spring bar flush with the lug as close as you can twice.

2) Then pull firm to lock the braid to the spring bar

3) Watch caseback facing you,Pull the braid nice and close to the springbar down and out.

Takes a few tries but once you get it you will find it easy. Use a needle to thread through twice if you want.

:D:D

alam likes this.
  10. Tritium Jan 27, 2016

Interesting thread.
    I've used it to cover bezels before polywatch but never for springbar removal. Will try!
    Would like to see some pictures.

11. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 27, 2016

My normal procedure for installation is to

- insert one end of the spring bar in the hole in it's corresponding lug,
    - then I hold the bracelet and keep the other tip of the spring bar away from the case,
    - next compress the spring bar till the sprung part is flush with the body of the spring bar,
    - then while keeping the sprung section depressed,
    - move the bracelet so that the spring bar is within the lug and lined up with the hole,
    - release the tool and move the bracelet slightly till the spring bar seats into the lug hole
    - pull on bracelet/strap to make sure it's well seated

In cases where this process is not possible for one reason or another, and the bar has to rest against the bottom of the lug, I do carry polymide tape (or Kapton as I knew it, for those who used to work on aircraft) the tape does a good job of protecting the lug from the bar.

Bars are always installed from the underside of the lugs.

Rob

alam likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 27, 2016

Painter's masking tape works for me. :thumbsup:

alam likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 27, 2016

Never found the need to use any protection on the underside of the lugs...just a spring bar tool and being careful is enough...

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2016

Tape, for those without archery skills.

wsfarrell, alam, Mothra and 1 other person like this.
  15. yinzerniner Jan 27, 2016

I use three different methods when working on exchanging straps, all involving super cheap stuff that can be purchased from any Home Depot, Staples, Lowes, Bed Bath, etc.

Level 1: Painters or Masking Tape
    Very easy to use, size, and affix. I prefer masking over painters as I find the adhesive is a bit stronger/stickier. Cons is that the tape itself is pretty thin, so it provides minimal protection in case you really miss and the fork end of your springbar tool jags into a lug.

Level 2: Electrical Tape
    A bit harder to size as it doesn't tear as easily as masking tape and the adhesive sometimes isn't as immediately tacky, but provides better protection as the rubber material is a bit thicker and tougher than the paper of the masking tape.

Level 3: Rubber Adhesive Padding
    This is only for special occasions where the springbar is very tricky or liable to need some extra oomph. I usually keep a few sheets of these dots around for my speakers, furniture, desk items, etc. that I move around but don't want shifting after rearrangement. I don't use the dots, but rather cut up pieces from the leftover sheet between the dots. The adhesive is VERY tacky, and the rubber material is about .5mm thick so it provides maximum protection with basically no chance of anything scratching through.

alam likes this.
  16. alam Jan 27, 2016

This is something that came to mind, thanks for confirming! :thumbsup: