Forums Latest Members
  1. Twoody Mar 19, 2016

Hi guys

I would like to know, if people have a mint condition speesmaster and bracelet, whether people take off the original bracelets and buy a second hand bracelet. I have an extremely nice condition LE Apollo 35th Speedy and don't feel comfortable wearing it as I know I will scratch up the bracelet.

Think I would feel better if I could use a different bracelet for when I wear it and keep the original mint, for future sale.

Would love to know your thoughts.

Photo attached (not the best quality - sorry!) of the watch. Another satisfied Kringkily customer!

Thanks!

IMG_9041.JPG
  2. lillatroll Mar 19, 2016

I think you should wear it. When it goes off for a service the bracelet will come back looking new.

Twoody, ulackfocus and RawArcher like this.
  3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Mar 19, 2016

When I was a kid, my friend bought a new football. We never played with it because he didn't want to scuff it up. We always wondered why he bothered buying it. Ok, so a watch is pricey and you'll get something back for it when you sell it, but it's your watch so you should be the one who enjoys it, not the next owner. If it's an investment, stick it in a safe. If it's a work of art, stick it on a wall. If it's a watch, wear it and enjoy it. All the scuffs it will get will be yours and that's something to enjoy, I think.

Cosd, chronos, Twoody and 6 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 19, 2016

Wear them out together why have a new watch old bracelet and sell a old watch new bracelet......

5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 19, 2016

Wrap duct tape on it when you wear it. That will keep the finish like new.

6. abrod520 Mar 19, 2016

Not worth worrying about the bracelet - they're easily refinished at service time, and easy / cheap enough to replace if necessary. If you enjoy wearing the watch on the bracelet, do so!

Twoody, ulackfocus and RawArcher like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 19, 2016

Didn't someone here wrap theirs in clear plastic wrap? About a year ago? Can't find the thread..

8. Ray916MN Mar 19, 2016

I've done it in the past, but only when the original bracelet is relatively fragile and not a great bracelet to begin with. For example using a 1171 instead of the 1039 on a Speedmaster or 19350 instead of a C&I rivet on a Sub. Solid steel bracelets seem to be pretty easy to get refurbished. Gold bracelets on the other hand can end up being pretty costly to get refurbed.

Twoody likes this.
  9. sky21 Mar 19, 2016

I'd also vote to wear the bracelet if you enjoy it. You spent all that money on the watch to wear it, get your money's worth.

Twoody likes this.
  10. kunimi Mar 19, 2016

This is a good one, Sir.

11. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Mar 19, 2016

There was someone who rested his wrist on a cloth when working at his desk. Can find the thead but as he doesn't come here anymore I can't be bothered to post it.

12. Dave Omega Mar 19, 2016

The 'Nato' seems appropo to mention at this point - something I am thinking about with my Seamaster...

13. ulackfocus Mar 19, 2016

Do you buy an every day car to sit it in the garage and never drive it? No, you don't. So why would you buy an every day watch and not wear it? It's an Omega for Pete's sake - it isn't a limited edition hand made Roger W. Smith.

Twoody and Moonwatch78 like this.
  14. Moonwatch78 Mar 19, 2016

Absolutely- wear it.Enjoy it. Let it breathe. It should be a living thing that grows in character as it goes through life. Watch and bracelet grow old together like a familiar couple. Life's too short to hide it away in the dark. It's the Moonwatch after all !

Twoody, KstateSkier and Dougall like this.
  15. speedy57 Mar 19, 2016

Wear it and don't worry about it! Besides you bought the best LE out there, congrats, I want one!

Moonwatch78 and Twoody like this.
  16. smitty190373 Mar 20, 2016

My friends dad bought a new Zenith Daytona in the mid 90s' . He wrapped the clasp in clingfilm. Never really got it back then but kinda do now. Saw him a few months ago, still got the Daytona..and it looks brand new! Never seem a polish in 20yrs ha.

Twoody likes this.
  17. KstateSkier Mar 20, 2016

I used to sweat scuffing the clasp and bracelet on my ST watch bands. Now that i've got a few scuffs and desk diving marks its just part of wearing and enjoying the lovely time pieces. They'll always get buffed out when I have my watches serviced.

Wear and Enjoy thats why these things were made.