Forums Latest Members

Proper way to insert band to deployant clasp?

1. ducatiti Aug 28, 2015

Do insert it thru the prongs on the side first or slip it in skipping the prongs, locking the tab on the hole and then bending in the band to fit in under the prongs on the side?

Seems simple but I want to avoid damaging the band or any unnecessary wear and tear.

2. wsfarrell Aug 28, 2015

Just got one that had some damage on the edges from (I believe) being pulled through the prongs. Now I slide it over the prongs, push it onto the tab, then carefully put the edges under the prongs.

3. ducatiti Aug 28, 2015

Thanks. Makes sense. Do you have to fold the band a bit to fit it under the prongs, after pushing the tab into the holes?

4. tegee26 Aug 28, 2015

I simply "tent" the band and fold it into each side and then insert into the hole to avoid damaging the sides.

In addition, make sure you insert the band fully into the hole to avoid "rounding" out the hole. I had that happen when I wasn't paying attention and just a few days the hole was egg shaped. I know all this sounds simply, but when you are changing straps frequently and rushing, from my experience, you can caused slight damage. And as we all know, these straps aren't cheap.

FWIW

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  5. ducatiti Aug 28, 2015

Thanks again. Very informative post. My same inquiry in another forum was left unanswered.

6. ducatiti Aug 28, 2015

Did you have the same concerns the first time you did it? Seems like a weak link on the design.

7. wsfarrell Aug 29, 2015

I may have been "lucky" in that my first deployant was used and already had damage on the sides of the strap, so I've been very careful with subsequent straps. To be fair, I only bought it for the clasp, as genuine new Omega clasps are really expensive. The strap was bright orange, and I didn't think I would actually use it---but it's growing on me.

"Tenting" as tegee says above is a good word for how I install straps now.