Forums Latest Members

Proper Band for 1958 Omega Automatic with 490 movement

1. ErnieM Sep 23, 2015

Hi, I am a new guy here, and new to Omegas as well. For a number of years, I was a casual collector of vintage Rolex watches, and had as my favorite a 1958 Oyster Perpetual in stainless steel with the period appropriate bracelet. However, that favorite "disappeared" about ten years ago...probably buried under the deck with all his other treasures by my then-four year old...and yes, he is still alive! Anyway, I thought I would replace it, but had significant sticker shock looking at similar pieces. As I was already considering acquiring a vintage Omega Seamaster 200m, I was shipping watches on eBay and came across a nice stainless steel Omega Automatic with a 490 movement that appeared original, so I bought it. Here it is:
    $_57.JPG
    The expanding bracelet may be period appropriate, but I was wondering whether anyone could provide me with advice as to what style stainless steel bracelet, if any, was appropriate for this type of watch in 1958. Any help would be appriciated!

2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 23, 2015

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place for questions like this.
    Your dial may have been refinished. The watch was most likely fitted with a leather strap. Bracelets were an option at the point of sale so any period Omega bracelet that fits the lugs will work. I enjoy the beads of rice (BOR) bracelets on watches from this era.
    image.jpg

Edited Sep 23, 2015
  3. ErnieM Sep 23, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion!