Forums Latest Members

Project 5513/2-Gilt or Matte?

1. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 22, 2017

So, now that we've reasonably concluded the midcase is not a fake ( https://omegaforums.net/threads/question-on-case-engraving-on-a-5513.56560/) but a later service replacement, what to do with the most important question at hand: gilt or matte dial? (The 1.4M serial straddles the later gilt and the early matte periods).
    Which way do you guys think I should go with my little project 5513/2? :)

2. omegastar Apr 22, 2017

I am doing exactly the same project with a 1.16X.XXX. 1964 5513. The most important thing is to have hands that glow like the dial's lume and match the color. I searched VRF and there is still some sort of debate. But when you look at all the watches displayed most have steel hands. There is a consensus that Subs with the circled gilt dial should have gilt hands. I think both look great, but gilt hands are very rare to find.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 22, 2017

Agreed. Slim chance on gilt hands...I'm pretty much ok with 'regular' ones.
    And, FWIW, I'm beginning to lean towards a gilt dial. Just means sawing off a limb or two to pay for it. :)

omegastar likes this.
  4. omegastar Apr 22, 2017

I started with the dial, and it took me three years to find the right watch (price, condition, serial,...). I have now found it, a friend of mine bought a meter's first 5513 and is parting with his 5513 from 1964 with a later dial. I plan on reluming steel hands with actual tritium that glows.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. omegastar Apr 22, 2017

Then you also need a long 5 insert and that special crown, if you want to go all the way.
    Rolex is not an easy and cheap path.

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 22, 2017

Who will you have do the tritium reluming?

7. omegastar Apr 22, 2017

I am going to try it myself. I selected table clocks hands with a lot of old tritium, selected the ones with the right color and glowing. I plan on crushing the lume, mix with water and little bit of wallpaper glue and eventually lume the hands. I don't how it'll work out in the end it is just a plan for I have still to pay for the 5513.

sky21 and OMGRLX like this.