Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2015

So I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by what I arrived. It was billed at as a Speedy Reduced, and had awful pictures, but I figured it was worth a roll once I learned it was a 105.012-65 with a c.321. Plus, the added bonus, it came with a mint 1499/842 bracelet that once I resell, should get my cost basis very low.

Yes, it has issues, some will be easy to correct, and some will take time, but overall, it has a pleasing look, and runs like a champ and the movement is buttery smooth.

First things first, the movement is a 24,00x,xxx serial cal.321 that is appropriate for the 105.012-65 case, so I don't think it is a franken. The case back has 4 service marks, and based on the lines of the case and 50 years, it has seen numerous polishes, and will most likely need someone to reshape if possible, but I am planning on leaving it "as-is" for the moment. The case back has no seamonster engraving left.

The dial, per Speedmaster 101, is the incorrect, yet factory, early painted logo c.321 dial, and mine has the same patina as the ones pictured on his site. The bezel, also the incorrect DN90, appears to be a factory replacement, and is the same as one of the watches on Speedmaster 101 with the smaller font TACHYMETRE. The second hand is the incorrect 861 version, but again matches a watch on Speedmaster 101 in the service dial article. It has all of the evidence of early Omega factory service per the watches displayed on Speedmaster 101.

The pushers are really odd, as they are clearly not Omega, and will be replaced.

My short term plan is to replace the pushers, and replace the second hand and have it painted to match the patina.

My long term plan is to look for A) the correct applied logo tritium dial B) correct DO90 bezel insert C) correct tritium hands and D) have someone work on the case.

Based on what you see, do my plans make sense? Is this watch worth fixing up (i.e. period correct dial, bezel, hands) or should I just do a quick fix and wear it as a beater? Can I have the case reworked or should I leave it "as-is"?

I have pics comparing the case against my unpolished 145.022-79 to show the condition.

As always, thanks for the insight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Dec 8, 2015
    Etp095, Electricl and cooney like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Dec 8, 2015

Honestly, if it was mine and I had had it for a steal, I'd relist it and sell it for a honest profit. Too many issues to ever be a satisfactory watch for me, most particular the level of polish and how it has reduced the shape of the case.

marturx, Javi22 and shane0mack like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2015

That is something that I thought about, but figured I would first fix the pushers, wear it, and decide whether or not the case really bothers me. I have wanted a nice example Seamaster 300, and this watch would help fund it.

Etp095 likes this.
  4. abrod520 Dec 8, 2015

Definitely fix the pushers, even try to find a correct narrow-foot crown... after the outlay you'd still be able to make a nice profit if you decided to move on.
    The dial and bezel I would go after only if I planned on keeping the watch. I don't think the case is bad enough that I would hate it.

5. Dgercp Dec 8, 2015

Is it worth doing all the work, depends what you paid for it. If very little, perhaps yes. Otherwise I agree with others do the short term
    fixes and sell.

6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 8, 2015

Wow, amazing to see how much the polishing has changed the shape of the case over the years, and not for the better either.

Pushers are awful and have to go, not sure about the rest though, depends on how much paid and how much needed to get it right.

Who in their right mind would put that style pushers on this case.

7. Davidt Dec 8, 2015

The problem is that with current prices for parts being what they are, you could easily spend far more than the watch is worth, by sourcing a correct dial, bezel and pushers and having a full service and case refinish, only to be left with a watch that has had a lot of work done to it and although technically correct, won't ever be original.

These kind of watches are great buys if you have some if the parts already. Less so if you need to source them all.

If it was cheap if be tempted to send it for a service, with new pushers and case refinish and leave it as a nice 321 daily wearer. If you happen across the correct parts on the future, great.

Vercingetorix and MikiJ like this.
  8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2015

After I sell the 1499/842 bracelet, my cost basis will be around $1k.

I am not in a rush to do anything with the watch, and can wait to source the correct parts at decent prices. Understanding the condition of the case, I am not expecting this to be a top notch 105.012 by any means if the correct dial and bezel insert are sourced. At least then it will be period correct.

As far as the pushers, who knows, I bought it from a pawn shop that polished it (eek) and most likely installed these abominations. The fact that they sold it as a Speedy Reduced still shocks me...

The more I think about it, I will most likely go the path of least resistance and just do the pushers, sweep hand, and maybe the crown. My Omega watchmaker does work for me at a very favorable rate since I send him so much business, so the service aspect won't be too bad.

Who would you recommend for case work? Is Jack at IWW good for Speedy cases--he is local to me.

9. marturx Dec 8, 2015

In fact Speedy Reduced is quite logical IMO. They reduced it from collectible to non-collectible. From wearable to not wearable. From a swan to an ugly duckling.

What you have there is a donors watch.

Sorry for being so blunt, but no way you can restore that one, it's far beyond rescue

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 8, 2015

$1K for a 321 is a STEAL! Just the movement alone that's still a steal.

As others have noted, the main challenge is that the case is pretty much destroyed irrecoverably. Since you got the watch so cheap, you could always add a new case to the parts to watch for.. it could be a nice daily wearer, but that case would bother me as much if not more than some of the other items.

Etp095 and wwhntr like this.
  11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2015

While I had my assumptions that the case was toast, I am glad to now know that it would be a waste to try and remedy it. It will be a great daily beater once I sort out the pushers and second hand, and if the chance arises, be a good donor watch for a better case, dial and bezel.

I appreciate your insight and positive outlook, as others seem intent on bashing the watch versus giving valuable advice.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the case, especially with what I have in it, doesn't really bother me. Funny because my 5512 had an over polished case and it drove me nuts...but then again, I had a lot tied up in that watch.

cooney and wsfarrell like this.
  12. ConElPueblo Dec 8, 2015

Eh?

Please, if you don't like what people - myself included - take their time to reply to you with, feel free to stop posting here.
    No-one in this thread has given anything else than honest, good advice.

Javi22, Dgercp and marturx like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2015

I thanked you, as well as others for their insight, and appreciate your guidance.

I have learned a lot in this thread, and realized that some collectors have better bedside manners than others.

cooney and wsfarrell like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Dec 8, 2015

Can you point out to me just one post here that is in a rude tone? Nobody here is "bashing" the watch, everyone has come up with solid advice that'll help you making the most of your buy, which btw is a very good one! It'll never be a watch that collectors have any interest in except as a donor watch, so did you think that people here would say otherwise? Implying that you've been treated unfairly ("...better bedside manners"? Seriously??) is really bad form.

15. blubarb Dec 10, 2015

Repair to the best you can and wear it in good health, I say.

16. JohnSteed Dec 10, 2015

Have to agree here

Etp095 likes this.
  17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 11, 2015

After having worn the watch all week, I must say, I really like it! While not an investment or collector piece, it has a great patina, looks just fine on the wrist, plus it keeps close to COSC time.

Seeing that putting any meaningful money into it is not wise because of the case issues, I have decided to have my watchmaker replace the pushers and do a very light brush to the aspects of the case should not be polished--leave the rest "as-is" in the "incorrect period service" state like the ones on Speedmaster 101.

Thanks for all of the insight.

Etp095, joerg, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Dec 11, 2015

Looking forward to seeing it in WRUW :thumbsup:

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2015

This is an amusing watch. Amusing because it has a historically rare dial, in good shape and with pleasing patina, all for $1000.

It would not be amusing to have paid the proper money for a 105.012 and get this.

I think it was Omega serviced perhaps in 1970's(??guessing!) then later serviced by an incompetent.

Replacing the pushers will help, and brushing the sides will make the best of a poor case.

The one caveat is to check the dial is indeed a 321. Bearing in mind he rest of the work, I would want to make sure it isn't an 861 dial fixed in with pads.

I like these service dials, and if in good condition are attractive - and they seem rarer than originals, though not as valuable.

Edited Dec 11, 2015
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 11, 2015

Thanks for the insight, and "amusing" is definitely a great way to describe it! Once my watchmaker gets inside, I will have him check to see if the dial is in fact a 321. Hoping to drop it off next week, and having it back by the New Year...but we will see.

cooney likes this.