Forums Latest Members

Problems with Speedmaster trilogy 57 limited edition

1. Laserdavy Feb 10, 2019

Hi
    I am the owner of a speedmaster limited edition trilogy 57, a very nice watch indeed, however I have had two issues with it and it is not even a year old yet. Firstly I foolishly (I now realise) wore it whilst swimming and as a result it got water ingress and had to be returned to Omega, who serviced it and returned it to me in working order.

Last week, I decided to wear the watch, took it out, wound it up and adjusted the time. When I pushed the crown back in, the watch did not start and it remained in adjust mode, I thought the crown had not located properly, so pull it out again to find that the crown and its mechanism pulled out of the watch.

This is a weekend watch, so never gets heavy use and tbh is in mint condition, however for an expensive watch I find that I should not be having these problems. I have now lost faith in the timepiece and it has gone back to Omega for repair. I really want my money back as I do not expect an item of supposedly excellent quality to have these problems when it is less than a year old.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this model, and if so has it been resolved.

Thanks

2. Fabrice M Feb 18, 2019

I am fairly new to the Omega brand, so I am not an Omega expert, but I have been a watch collector for a long time, and fairly involved in watch forums ( mostly the Rolex one, new t9 the Omega forum). Watches crown pulling out with its “ mechanism” which I believe refers to the winding stem, is something that can happens even with watches that are way more expensive, it’s not very common but it happens, and it can be fixed easily, nothing to worry, it is design to come out if pulled too strongly.

3. Fabrice M Feb 18, 2019

I forgot to mention, the stem is held in place by a small ball screw. When they did the first repair, they probably didn’t tighten the ball screw enough, which is what caused your stem to go loose. It is super easy to fix, and any watchmaker can do it in a few minutes. Nothing to worry at all.

4. Kwijibo Feb 19, 2019

Swimming with a speed is not really reasonable.
    For the stem, the screw retaining it must not have been screwed tight enough, not a big deal but if Omega did that mistake they should fix it for free. Keep it it's a nice watch.

5. wjr Mar 11, 2019

sounds like an owner problem and not as much a watch problem. Your right you should not be having these problems, so you shouldn't be swimming with it, which is the source of your problems

6. ext1 Mar 11, 2019

I think the stem came loose. There is a screw (detent screw I think it's called) that you can adjust to fix it. With the proper tools it's a very easy job for a watchmaker. Of course, this is assuming there is nothing else wrong!

upload_2019-3-11_8-45-52.png
    Turn in the direction I drew to tighten.

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 11, 2019

Watch is water resistant to 60 meters. Unless you are diving for sponges, the watch should be perfectly suitable for swimming. It had a defect, and the repair to that defect probably caused another problem. Any watch can have a defect, that is what warranties are for.

DSOTM and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. Laserdavy Mar 12, 2019

Hi, yes I agree, they state they are water resistant to 60 meters, but when you try to clarify what this really means, you get a very vague answer, some say it’s ok for a light dousing, other say it is ok to fully immerse on water. My understanding would be that you can use it in water to a depth of 60 meters, but obviously this was not the case with mine. Anyway lesson learned, do not use it in water.
    On an update note, it is still away with Omega for repair, must be a difficult job to tighten a screw up!

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

It’s water resistant till you catch the pusher on something. Why do you think they added the pusher guards on the pro.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2019

Not vague at all - when Omega says something is good for use to a specific depth, that is exactly what they mean. 60m means 60m.

Your watch failed - that's what the warranty is for. Don't confuse a quality failure in one example with what the watch was designed to be capable of.

Note that when a watch goes back under warranty, there are a number of checks done on it after the warranty work is completed. Complaining that it takes too long is nonsensical to me. Would you rather they just tighten the screw and send it back without making sure everything else is okay? If they did turn it around quickly and something else goes wrong, you would be jumping all over them for that...with some people you just can't win.

Most likely they are doing a lot more than just tightening a screw...

Blacksmith, gpssti4 and red crowned like this.
  11. Laserdavy Mar 12, 2019

I am sorry but I got the impression from my dealer was vague on the subject, now whether he was poorly informed or not, I do not know, however, looking on the Omega website, water resist is not defined, unless you can tell me different. Others have stated on this forum that putting it in water was a bad idea and to be on the safe side I will never do such a thing again.

As for the length of time it is taking to get it back, I was being facetious, I appreciate that it will be hopefully, fully repaired, unlike the last time. I just feel let down that a quality product has failed twice in less than a year. I am very much an Omega lover, but this has tainted my experience with them.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2019

Have you read the handy manual that accompanied your watch?

Foo2rama and ConElPueblo like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Mar 12, 2019

Wouldn't it be nice if the watch was accompanied by a chart that specified what the specific ratings meant? I'd wish that someone would have thought of that.

I might come across less than friendly by replying like this, but please stop posting nonsense like this. Badly informed and misleading for someone having an actual problem.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Laserdavy Mar 12, 2019

Actually I have just looked at both my manuals for my seamaster and the speedmaster, and I now see that both are described as water resist to their specified depths. I think where I am getting confused with this whole issue is ‘waterproof’ as opposed to ‘water resist’.

It would appear that they are one and the same, Omega chose to use the latter term, which in my opinion is a bit confusing. Looking definitions in the OED I found the following:
    • Water-resistant: able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely
    • Water-repellent: not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating
    • Waterproof: impervious to water
    By using the term water resistant, they are leaving themselves wiggle room as if, in my case they fail, if they used the latter, then a product then could be described as unfit for purpose if it failed.

I always believed my seamaster was waterproof, apparently it is not, however it has never given me a problem, I may even be tempted to soak the speedmaster, if I ever get it back - this is a facetious comment.

15. FlyingSnoopy Mar 12, 2019

Speedmasters are not intended to be using when you swim.
    Actually you can wear them in space, where there is no water, but I doubt that any of us will go there.
    Seriously though only divers watches should be used in the water, not only because of the wetness but also beacause of wate4 pressur3 which increases the mor3 you go into water...
    Again Speedmasters are not designed for swimming
    Cheers

Edited Mar 12, 2019
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 12, 2019

::facepalm1::

DSOTM likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2019

They are designed to go to the rated depth, and that includes while swimming.

You are certainly overthinking this. The watch is rated to go to the depth indicated - it isn't any more complicated than that.

18. MCC Mar 12, 2019

Archer likes this.
  19. 007007007 Mar 16, 2019

I’ve had a few Omega watches (currently 4 in the stable) none have had that issue and all are very well made. If this was an AP Offshore or Royal Oak. It happens all the time.