Forums Latest Members
  1. Kargol Jun 24, 2020

Hi guys,
    Do you have encountered problems with the automatic winding in the above stated movement? I wonder if it’s made by factory to break after a few years , because I have two watches with the same problem. Does anybody where exactly the problem is?
    I wind the watch with the crown and it keeps great time and also has a power reserve over 40 hours. However when I wear it it stops with no reason. Also when I wake up in the morning I find the watch that has stopped during the night even if I was wearing it during all previous day.
    is there a problem with the discs of the automatic you think or with the rotor that doesn’t turn well? Do I need to replace sth specifically? Anyone heard of this problem before?

thanks for your replies

2. SkunkPrince Jun 24, 2020

When were these watches last serviced?

3. Kargol Jun 24, 2020

Believe it or not they were serviced just a few days before I got them! I also got the photos of the disassembling and proof of service. However they didn’t check the auto mechanism I guess...

4. SkunkPrince Jun 24, 2020

If you have the receipts, see if they'll honor the service warranty. If these aren't autowinding, they did something wrong.

Kargol likes this.
  5. Kargol Jun 24, 2020

I would rather know if there is a specific issue with this kind of movement rather than claiming warranty . I don’t want to return them back to another continent risking paying customs taxes again .

6. SkunkPrince Jun 24, 2020

Oh that does complicate things. The resident watchmakers will weigh in soon, then. Where are you located?

7. Kargol Jun 24, 2020

Crete in Greece.

8. SkunkPrince Jun 24, 2020

I'm in USA so I can't recommend anywhere to go. Good luck!

9. Kargol Jun 24, 2020

Thanks for trying to help anyway my friend

10. Canuck Jun 24, 2020

Arrange with the source you bought the watches from to reimburse you for the cost of having a shop local to you that you trust, go through them. You say they stop for no reason. There must be a reason for the watches to stop!

Kargol likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2020

There’s nothing about these movements that is inherently faulty in a way that would cause lack of winding efficiency. If serviced properly, there should not be any problems.

In the last service, did they replace the reversing wheel? The rotor bearing?

These are two areas that need to be paid attention to. ETA and Omega no longer recommend cleaning and using the reversing wheels over again...they recommend replacement at every service.

For the rotor the bearing must pass the damping test and not have excessive play.

Cheers, Al

Kargol and SkunkPrince like this.
  12. Kargol Jun 26, 2020

He said that he replaced the whole automatic mechanism but I guess he didn't replace the rotor bearing since he used the same Omega rotor... So I guess the rotor bearing is the problem...

Thank you @Archer !! this is really useful!!
    Now the problem is to find this rotor bearing!! ::facepalm2::

13. robocaspar Jun 26, 2020

The rotor bearing is located in the center of the rotor and is held by a friction clip. You don't have to change the whole rotor..

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 26, 2020

First thing I would do is ask if they replaced the bearing. If they returned the replaced parts (they should have) then you would know just by looking at the parts you got back.

The 1108 uses a standard ETA 2892A2 rotor bearing, so it should be easy to find one. The 1120 and newer is where the bearing is a completely different animal from the ETA versions of the movement.

Kargol likes this.
  15. Kargol Jun 26, 2020

It’s really amazing the help you provide to all OF forum members!! Thank you !!!

Zenman53 likes this.