Forums Latest Members

Problem with my Speedy, or late night ramblings

1. jzzmusician Sep 20, 2018

I'm not a watch guy.

I read an article from somewhere on the internet about 5 years ago about watches. It was a good read. Lot's of info about unobtainable works of art and what to do if you wanted a cool watch, but I didn't have $30,000+ to join the club.

The author recommended vintage Omegas as a place to start. I did, and purchased a 60's something Seamaster, (I need to have it serviced.)

I wore that awhile and discovered this forum. Not good. After 6 months of looking I bought another Seamaster, an Aqua Terra from a trusted seller on the forum; a 2500 caliber, 39mm, white face with blue hands. I was in heaven and started a new thing; buying straps.

The bug hit again and once more I trolled the for sale posts and bought yet another Seamaster; a black 300 SMPc, brand new in the box. I LOVE this watch!!!

But as most of you know, this forum has a lot of stuff about that darn Speedy. I've got a small wrist and when I tried one on, it was just a tad clunky. I needed an alternative. I spent about a zillion hours looking at chronos; all the Omegas, Zeniths, (super nice), Tudors, etc. None connected with me as much as the Speedy. They were cool watches, but lacked the history. So about a month ago I wrangled a NIB FOIS. It fits and wears perfectly.

I couldn't be happier. But I have a problem.

I can't seem to wear any of my other watches. Seriously. I have a problem. Today I saw the 300 SMP in the box, wound it up, set the date and time and put it on. It lasted about an hour before I put the Speedy back on my wrist. The Aqua Terra? Same thing. After an hour it was back in the box and the Speedy was on my wrist. Again.

This seems to be a problem. I really like my other watches, but they don't get any love.

Maybe I should buy another Speedy.

Anybody else have this issue?

IMG_0296.jpg
    davy26, GordonL, Pun and 4 others like this.
  2. rohnin Sep 21, 2018

You should buy a 60th Anniversary Speedmaster then. It’s 38.6mm. That will never come off your wrist :)

jzzmusician and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  3. rob#1 Sep 21, 2018

I believe it’s called Speeditis - it is an incurable addiction. However, it can be carefully managed with regular doses of straps and bracelets, or by adding the odd LE from time to time (there’s certainly a few to choose from ::confused2::). Serious cases result in 321 mainlining and/or an insatiable quest to find the oldest, most original Speedmaster ever manufactured.

I also have a Seamaster that doesn’t get the wrist time it deserves, so am well aware of the condition. :eek:

jzzmusician likes this.
  4. paulw Sep 21, 2018

I was looking at the various anniversary edition watches in a dealer's window yesterday, really had to try hard to stop myself going in to try them for size they look perfect for the smaller wrist and love the retro style.

Paul

5. vbrad26 Sep 21, 2018

You are not alone. Happens to me all the time.
    Before I bought it, I told myself that I would maybe wear it once or twice a week.
    Once I got it, I couldn't take it off. It has since become my "daily" more or less.

Pun likes this.
  6. GordonL Sep 21, 2018

I have the same problem.... My "modern" Speedmaster Pro is by far the most expensive watch I own but I wear it more than any of the others. I think it's a form of illness.....

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. jzzmusician Sep 21, 2018

I could've gone the rest of the year without hearing that. I tried one on last month. It's incredible. Must resist!!

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2018

Zenith Prime...

Sorry but you’ll love it.

9. ext1 Sep 21, 2018

Of course- I've only have 2 watches and the speedy is the daily driver. But in the rare time the speedy needs to go to the ER the seamaster covers duty.