Forums Latest Members

Pre-War Elgin Wrist Watch Help?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 7, 2016

I don't do any other watch forums so will inquire here. I would be grateful for any information, advice, possible restoration suggestions on this Elgin.

[​IMG]

We moved my elderly parents this spring and have been packing up the home place. This Elgin and a Gothic were found in a box in the back of a large closet, likely seeing the light for the first time since about 1969, though disused since long before then. They were in with some other family items from my mother's side. The only two men in my mother's household were her father, who died in 1937 when she was two, and her grandfather with whom she lived after 1937. He died in 1949. I will ask my mother about the watches in coming weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some internet research finds serial number tables which indicate the watch dating to 1931. I'm under no illusions that the Elgin is of great value. Its case is 10kt gold plated. I didn't take the watch seriously until inspecting the movement inside. The movement appears nifty and nicely finished, looking better in person than the poor photograph shows, though the screw slots show some ham-handedness. The dial seems fairly well preserved also. The balance wheel moves freely and the watch wants to run but stops in 5 to 10 seconds. As a fun project, I think I'll have it rehab'ed unless it's cost prohibitive. Will probably spend a couple a hundred on a watch that is worth about $65 on Ebay after the work.

-Elgin had a range of movements from 7 jewels on up. Would this 17-jewel movement be of decent quality for the era?

-In the "pecking order" of pre-World War II American wrist watch brands, where did the Elgin fall?

-Assuming it may be successfully resurrected, would anyone have suggestions on a "period" styled strap?

[​IMG]
    The other watch found in that box of stuff must have been some minor brand, the Gothic "Jar-Proof." From looking at similar models, I'm guessing this one's late 1920s. The pins are corroded in place and the ancient strap is stuck to the watch's back. I haven't bothered with prying all this apart in order to look inside yet. What little information on Gothic Jar-Proof watches could be found online indicates that they originated in the mid-1920s and apparently came with 15-17 jewel Swiss movements in them. Was amused to read on a watch forum post, that a Gothic Jar-Proof was thrown out of the window of an 11-story building somewhere here in Texas and remained ticking after it hit the ground. A link to an old ad which made this claim was provided within this post but the link was bad. Would have liked to have read the ad.

[​IMG]

This watch is notably inferior to the Elgin, at least in observing its exterior and dial fabrication. It is apparently a men's watch. The brocade strap is interesting. Must have been worn by one of the women in my mother's household. She lived with her older sister, her mother and two old maid aunts in my great grandfather's house. The strap shows a distinct impression where it was habitually adjusted and worn and it would have fit a mighty delicate wrist.

[​IMG]

Anyone know anything about this brand? Don't expect the Gothic is worth fixing. If it could be made to run, I guess I could wear it if I ever want to dress up like a gangster minion from 1930.

Edited Jul 7, 2016
  2. Maybe Jul 10, 2016

Nice post, as you point out, the economic value is lower than the pleasure of wearing the actual piece.

3. SeanO Jul 10, 2016

Elgin were a large watch company.

The brand Elgin was the mass market label with Lord Elgin being the upper market label.

the 17 jewel movement is certainly better than the 7 and 15 jewel variants but they made so many movements that you'll be hard pressed to tell any difference in timekeeping between them.

get it cleaned and wear it occasionally.

a pigskin strap would be the choice for the era.

noelekal likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 10, 2016

The movement was actually made in 1933.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/33774238/movement

The higher grade Elgin movements were equivalent to other American made makes like Hamilton, Waltham, etc. at that time. I'm not sure where this Grade 437 movement rates in the pantheon of Elgins. They made many different movements in multiple sizes.

The market generally values Hamiltons the highest today, all else being equal. That's likely because Hamilton usually only made one grade of movement per size and all were 17 jewels or more. Hamilton just didn't make the lower grade stuff that other American companies did.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Jul 10, 2016

"Jar-Proof" sounds much better than "Shock Resistant."

noelekal likes this.
  6. redpcar Jul 10, 2016

noelekal likes this.
  7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2016

The Elgin is actually 10K gold-filled, not plated. If plated it would have had much more wear on the bezel than it actually does. It does have some brassing visible, so must have been well-used.

noelekal likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 11, 2016

Qualification - the above is true only for wristwatches. Hamilton made several grades for each size of pocket watches.
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 11, 2016

Thank y'all for the help. Omega Forums come through with information and links.

Much better than the "Elgin Forums" and we won't even talk about the "Gothic Forums."

10. Waltesefalcon Aug 27, 2016

A 17 jewel Elgin isn't a bad movement at all and should keep decent time once it is serviced. Elgin was the Ford of the US watch world, they made watches for all price ranges, and this one would be on the upper end of the spectrum though not as nice as a Lord Elgin which would have been on par with Hamilton and Bulova. I don't own any Elgin wristwatches, but I do own seven or eight Elgin pocket watches and they are all of decent quality. I also agree about the pigskin strap, I think that will suit it well.

noelekal likes this.