Forums Latest Members

Powermatic 80 (ETA) hacking 'problem'

1. Madjam1966 Feb 9, 2020

Morning all

Recently purchased a new Tissot with this movement. When pulling out the crown for stopping/hacking the seconds hand and then moving the hour/minute hands, the seconds hand flips a second or two from rest depending on which way I turn the crown. I've never noticed this with any, quality hackable watch movements before (only noticed similar occurring when 'back-hacking' is forced in cheaper, non hacking movements).

Anyone know if this is a peculiarity of this, or some ETA or other, similar movements or something that needs addressing, please?

Thanks.

2. Madjam1966 Feb 9, 2020

I've since compared the scenario with my Tissot Visodate (2836-2), my SMP (2500C) and a microbrand with a Miyota 9039 auto movement. For the Tissot and Omegas, the seconds hand stays rock solid (as I'd hope) :) but the Miyota does similar to the Powermatic. :(

Time for a return/refund or accept the quirk and/or 'issue°?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

3. Canuck Feb 9, 2020

Eta movements that are equipped with a hack, usually hack the balance wheel, not the train wheels. I suspect this Tissot movement is the same. Some watches hack the fourth wheel which carries the seconds hand. Why does that matter. It matters because, on a watch that hacks the fourth wheel, the normal “lash” in the train wheels you would expect as you set the hands, is eliminated. On a watch that hacks the balance wheel, the lash in the train is still there. Why don’t you go to a Tissot dealer and check out his inventory of Tissot POWERMATIC 80 watches to see whether your watch is unique. This phenomenon is hardly likely to throw your watch out by a second as the lash will be taken up once you return the stem to the run position.

4. Madjam1966 Feb 10, 2020

Thank you for that explanation. I will indeed pop back to the dealer and test out some others with both standard ETA and other Powermatic movements. If this peculiarity is normal that's fine, but it looks and feels 'wrong'.

Thanks again.