Forums Latest Members

Potential new vintage Omega Seamaster - Help appreciated

1. bPierre0205 Dec 8, 2019

Hi guys,

Just saw an announce on a forum for an Omega Seamaster Cal.268, and I would like to get your opinion on any potential red flags, as I'm certainly not a Vintage Seamaster expert. I really like the look of the watch, but I'd also like it to be as original as possible, so here are my questions :
    -Any potential redflags regarding overpolishing, redials, refurbishing, changed hands, relume etc ? Seller claims it's all original.
    -Given that seller certifies that the watch has been serviced and the watch comes with its box (no idea if it is original), what would be an OK price to pay ? I'm not looking into flipping the watch, but I'd also like to not overpay for it...
    -Any additional info on the reference would be great !

Thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated !

Pierre

Please see below the pictures :
    image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

2. Lotus_Eater8815 Dec 8, 2019

Given that there’s lume on the hands and dial, shouldn’t it say “ T swiss made T” at 6 o’clock?

Also, the 5th marker on the subdial protrudes farther out than the 6th and 7th, so I’m going to say the dial has been redone.

3. Edward53 Dec 8, 2019

Everything looks fine to me. The dial is pre-tritium so no need for the T. The slightly off-centre subdial is not a cause for concern, that's just how it happened to print. Quality control priorities were not always geared to future collectors!

4. Lotus_Eater8815 Dec 8, 2019

Does that mean the lume is Radium?

5. Edward53 Dec 8, 2019

Not necessarily, but probably. Tritium came in in the early 60s but was not always marked as such, so this could be tritium but I suggest radium is more likely.

Lotus_Eater8815 likes this.
  6. bPierre0205 Dec 8, 2019

Thanks a lot for your feedback, really appreciated.
    Seller claims the watch is from 1959, which would mean, if I understood your previous posts correctly that lume is radium indeed (if seller is right).

Regarding the price, any feedback ? (Even a range would be helpful)

Thanks !
    Pierre