Forums Latest Members

possible to swap caseback from 2535.80 (SMP GMT) to 2254:50 (SMP) ???

1. carl4761 Oct 2, 2016

Hi all:

Wondering if anyone has done this swap before... i'm aware of the Custom Watch Concepts aftermarket exhibition casebacks that are available and I've googled around to find at least one person who has used it successfully (after having to trim it down a little).

If it's possible to use OEM parts, I'd prefer that route... it seems like the exhibition (clear) caseback from the 2535.80 should fit the 2254.50 - but I've had trouble finding anyone who has done so (or tried).

also, any recommended sources for parts, other than Otto Frei?

TIA,
    carl

2. alam Oct 3, 2016

@Archer may be able to answer this one...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 4, 2016

No idea - there's only one way to know - try it.

4. carl4761 Oct 6, 2016

i'm certainly up for being the pioneer but am having trouble locating the parts. Otto Frei has the caseback and gasket, but not the sapphire that fits inside the hole in the caseback. The Omega service center in Osaka gave me a negative response, but due to poor english translation, i couldn't be 100% clear why they declined... not sure if it was due to swatchgroup policies or due to the casebacks actually not being compatible. I'll keep looking and if i ever get anywhere with this, i'll report back

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2016

You will also need the crystal gasket that holds the crystal in the case back, and a press to install that crystal.

My guess is that they declined because this is against Omega policies.

6. alam Oct 6, 2016

good luck! this could turn into a very expensive experiment if after sourcing the required parts you can't achieve your objective...either way, come back and tell us how it turns out! :)

@carl4761 more parts to consider....:coffee:

7. carl4761 Oct 6, 2016

it's already ridiculous to me that i can't just pick up a parts catalog and order whatever the hell i want. maybe it's my rebellious spirit, maybe it's my OCD, but i almost take it like NPH in How I Met Your Mother... you say it can't be done? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

worst case scenario, i manage to find all the parts, and it won't fit. i can always toss the parts up on ebay and recover at least some of the money. my 2254 was a wedding gift from my wife, so i'm never getting rid of it... i don't mind spending a couple hundo on it to make it "perfect". hell, it cost ~$750 to get it overhauled and replace the (upper) sapphire 2 months ago.

now that i have a 2nd watch to wear (rolex explorer ii), the SMP can be my project for a while.

8. alam Oct 6, 2016

No one said it can't be done, an expert watchmaker mentioned other parts you must consider for the mod and I believe he also suggested that Omega will not sell parts that are designed for one model for use on a different model..... a few folks around here have managed to mod their watches to their heart's content, I'm just curious and would like to see if your intended mod works out because I own a 2254 myself... :coffee:

...and since threads without pictures are not fun, here's my 2254 (which my intent is to keep in a "factory original" state! :D

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 6, 2016
  9. carl4761 Oct 6, 2016

yep. i was aware of the gasket needed, Frei mentions this fact clearly on their website. sorry for not being thorough ;) i figure the gaskets aren't what's going to kill me here, it's the sapphire itself.

little scavenger hunts like this are fun for me... most of the time. we'll see where the path leads.

thanks for posting your pic. mine looks... exactly the same ;) even after the mod, it would still look the same on the wrist.

my ONE reservation would be that technically, the wording on the caseback wouldn't be 100% accurate... because i don't think the 2254 has a "co-axial escapement". i'd be willing to live with that small inaccuracy, however.

i wonder what the ROI on just buying a used 2535, swapping the casebacks, and then selling the 2535 with a solid caseback would be. hmm.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2016

So since this discussion seems like you really might spend some serious money buying watches to try this out, I had a quick look to see if I could find anything to tell me if the 2 case backs are compatible...the case back seals for each watch give a hint...

25358000 - 088NS5140 | SEAL O-RING d34.5 D36.5 ø1

25545000 - 088NS5143 | SEAL O-RING d36 D38 ø1

The fact that the OD of one is nearly as large as the ID of the other tells me they are not likely able to be swapped. If you still want to give it a try, these are the parts needed...

So the sapphire crystal needed is a part 062SN2065 - D25 H2.2

Case back crystal gasket is 298ZW5522

Case back is 112ST1704.

Cheers, Al

11. carl4761 Oct 6, 2016

@Archer - hats off to you. that's all but proof that they are incompatible. appreciate your taking the time to check on it!

well, that's that.

guess i get to decide if i want to go aftermarket or just leave it be.

12. alam Oct 6, 2016

or now you have a valid reason to get another watch! :)