Forums Latest Members
  1. mbeast May 12, 2016

Hi all, hoping for some advice...

I woke up this morning to find my Rolex Date 1500 had suddenly gained around 10 minutes overnight. It always ran slightly fast but by no more than 30 seconds per day. It has continued to gain around a minute per hour today.

I was at a pub quiz last night which is played on tablets/smartphones and I spent a good deal of time with my hand hovering over the tablet (I'm a competitive sort!).

Does this sound as if the watch has possibly become magnetised through close proximity to the tablet? I would have thought its timekeeping would deteriorate more gradually if it just needed a service? If it is indeed magnetised, what would be the best way to remedy it?

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice is much appreciated.

Gratuitous photo of the watch in question....
    IMG_0249.JPG

Schmedsc likes this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 12, 2016

Doubtful, I shudder to think how many hours my good lady spends on her iPad crushing candies or whatever and never a problem.

mjomega and mbeast like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 12, 2016

If the iPad had a magnetic cover then it is very possible. Do you know when the watch was last serviced?

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. mbeast May 12, 2016

It was supposedly last serviced in 2013, according to the chap who sold it to me, but it came from eBay so can't be 100% sure. Sounds like it may be time to get it serviced myself. Thanks for the advice guys.

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 12, 2016

She who must be obeyed has the magnetic cover ?

6. mbeast May 12, 2016

Haha no, it was just a plain vanilla iPad, so going by what Stewart has said, it sounds like magnetism is unlikely.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2016

An easy way to tell is to demagnetize it and see if the rate changes...

A sudden change in rate like this is usually magnetism, but also if the watch received a shock it's possible that the balance spring was caught up on the stud. Both will shorten the effective length of the balance spring, and cause a fast rate.

Cheers, Al

8. GBTRIUMPH May 13, 2016

A spinning hard disk drive will give off a magnetic field (as will the motor that turns it). Since the tablet has none, and in the absence of a magnet for a cover, I very much doubt you have a magnetism problem. It's been 3 years...probably due anyway. I think Archer is very likely correct.

But if you don't like it anymore...it can make a home with me. ;-) PRETTY ROLEX! This is what they should look like!

9. Pvt-Public May 13, 2016

Just out of curiosity can a bulk tape eraser be used to demagnetize watches and/or tools??
    P1021957.JPG

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2016

I would advise that you use tools designed specifically for watches...

11. Pvt-Public May 13, 2016

Figured as much just thought I'd ask. BTW really quick answer :)

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 13, 2016

I used to work with robots which had magnetic drives and used to get my watch buggered and my credit cards ruined about twice a year. What you have sounds like magnetism all right. My watchmaker used to just laugh and go to his little machine with my watch, all was well in a few minutes..... it was the razzing afterward that was hardest to take.

13. mbeast May 17, 2016

Quick update on this. I bought a cheap watch demagnetiser from eBay to see if it would sort things - not the most elegant of machines...

$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvVK)BRvFqIEu3g~~60_57.jpg

It seemed to do something as the watch stopped when I zapped it with it, but it hasn't fixed the problem - it's still 10 mins a day fast so it's off for servicing tomorrow. Going to be a bit more expensive than I'd hoped!