Forums Latest Members

Porsche club of America limited edition review hodinkee

1. hotwheels Dec 8, 2017

2. Traveler Dec 8, 2017

Seriously, what is the point .....

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 8, 2017

Need an article. Sick of them posting prices for sold out watches.

4. demchocholips Dec 9, 2017

I don't think it's sold out. I just got my PCA newsletter today saying there's still a few left.

5. Riviera Paradise Dec 9, 2017

Wow. What a poor effort from Jack...surprised that they handed this watch for him to review. Expect more from him, he should have turned it down...I can see PCA members getting somewhat excited about this, but wasting Hodinkee editorial space for an Omega Speedy LE which does not boast any significant historical or WIS reference or tech chops just seems silly to me.

Ref. the watch I really don't like the yellow hands and grey dial mix...the dial itself looks quite nice....but the whole watch is so meh and inferior to the new Speedy Racings they launched this year. I would have used the Speedy Racing with some reference to the the PCA colours...would have reinforced the Racing line and I am sure they could have sold more.

Paedipod likes this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Dec 9, 2017

Oh and BTW I posted something similar to the above text on the Hodinkee site (a bit more diplomatic and directed towards Jack) and it did not get authorized / published by their "moderator") LOL.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 10, 2017

Not sure what you mean, as PCA wanted a LE with low #s of watches, not too sell as many watches as they can. This is the third PCA LE watch over the years, the last being a Chopard that was, well, a bit too blue for my tastes.

Agree 100% about the GSOTM being an odd starting point through.

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2017

Just popped on the site for a quick look as its been ages since I've been on it, browsing through all the items i spotted that their magazine is $27...

Can someone kindly tell me what shit they are smoking please! I gotta get some of that! ::screwloose::

9. Traveler Dec 10, 2017

Don’t know if you managed to sit through the last (awkward) ‘Friday Live’ but they spent some time dwelling on negative comments that had upset them in 2017... if you are going to go down a business route that is that commercial and self-promoting, you gotta grow a thicker skin!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  10. Riviera Paradise Dec 10, 2017

Thought they might be willing to do up to 500 of these if the demand was there, but fair enough, point taken.

11. Riviera Paradise Dec 10, 2017

Yes, I saw that part of the the 'Dink live and my post in no way got even close to the level of those comments. I just called out Jack for stooping lower than his usual high standards and doing such a superficial piece on such a "meh" watch.

12. sevenhelmet Dec 10, 2017

They aren't catering to plebians like us.

13. speedbird Dec 10, 2017

If it’s an omega, and it exists, why not do a review? Doesn’t hurt anything.

maecenas and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 10, 2017

It's almost becoming de rigeur to denigrate anything published by or associated with Hodinkee.

Yawn......::yawn::

Kmart likes this.
  15. Kmart Dec 10, 2017

I haven't purchased it yet but by all accounts the magazine is well worth the price. 160 pages of photography and articles for $27 doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. It's basically a coffee table book.

People don't seem to have any issues paying $300 for Moonwatch Only...

demchocholips likes this.
  16. maecenas Dec 10, 2017

I’m conflicted, because on one hand, it’s something Omega made, so worth some press. On the other hand, what’s the point? The xSOTMs have been reviewed to death, so really we’re just talking color details here. Furthermore, my real problem with it, is that it continues the Omega LE fatigue (judging from the comments), when really it’s unnecessary. I take this watch to be something cool and unique that Omega did as a special order for a small group, not just “yet another limited edition”. But I don’t really feel the “review” captured that. Anyhow, no big deal. People for some reason seem to get worked up that Omega makes variations (even if quite a few of them...) of things, which I don’t really get.

17. Riviera Paradise Dec 11, 2017

Does not add anything significant either. If this had been an ABTW review I would not have commented. What disappointed me was Jack (who I do admire) writing this piece...and I suppose I expected more from him (see his Japan/Seiko tour stuff for example).

18. Riviera Paradise Dec 11, 2017

It has also become de rigeur on the OF to write off posts from other members with one liners such as these;). I think many on the OF have a balanced view on Hodinkee...my personal scorecard for their recent work:
    1. Swatch Hodinkee LE: great!
    2. Japan Seiko tour video: great!
    3. Interview about the Phillips auction: great!
    4. Omega Speedy PCA LE review: what???

Traveler likes this.