Forums Latest Members

Poorman's, lookalikes or just "drawing the long bow"

1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 12, 2016

Had a quick hunt for another "Poorman's" thread but mainly just see the term used a few times in "WRUW Today".

Other than the page http://onthedash.com/poormans.shtml I only ever see the term on eBay listings and usually it's just an excuse by the seller to try and draw in more views by mentioning a more often searched brand. :whistling:

My daughter finally noticed my new Wittnauer Professional Chrono-Date this morning :oops:.
    After verbally bashing me for spending more money :rolleyes: she took another look at it and said
    "errrr, I'm thinking................... Steve Mcqueen"
    I laughed. She's 19 and probably couldn't pick Steve McQueen out of a celebrity Police lineup.
    Then I googled pictures to show her and was shocked. :eek:
    I obviously knew about the McQueen Heuer Monaco but I was very surprised by the number of similarities with my Wittnauer.

Either my daughter is really watch gifted, the (hospital) drugs have psychic side effects or she's pulling my leg (and, unusually for her, sticking to the plot).

Pics from yesterdays WRUW as I struggled to get any pictures capturing the colours tonight before the sun set.

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

Internet picture of the Heuer Monaco
    Monaco.jpg

Blue dial,
    2x white subdials at 3 and 9,
    date at 6, (mines way cooler, being red)
    red chrono hand.

Am I "drawing a long bow"? :D
    Not going to go quite as far as pretending it's a square-ish case :unsure:

What "Poorman's" have you got?
    Real :cool: or imaginary ::screwloose::

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 12, 2016

Yep, can definitely see it in both watches.

Bet you daughter got it from the Breaking Bad scene where he gets given one..

bristnj likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 12, 2016

I really like that Wittnauer all on its own.

Always liked the color combo for that professional.

And,the red date looks really good.

Syrte and Emeister like this.
  4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 12, 2016

I'm loving it too.
    I wasn't sure about the case design when I bought it.
    Even now, on the wrist, I'm not sure if dial/hands colours are drawing my attention off of the case or if it just all works together.

5. bristnj Apr 12, 2016

The true definition of a "Poor Man's" (Insert Brand) is a watch that was actually manufactured by the reference manufacturer in their factory. (i.e. Heuer). There are examples of Zodiac, Sears Tradition, etc. that use the same cases or show model numbers, marking or the actual manufacturers signed cases, like in the case back. The term gets used too loosely. Every watch that looks like one that's going for much more money is a "Poor Man's" Heuer, Omega, Breitling, etc. Really, there is no affiliation at all with these watches and the referenced manufacturer. I agree with above, just a sales tactic to draw attention or more money. In the end, if you like the "look-a-like" style of the watch and the price, buy it and enjoy it. The Wittenauer above is a cool little piece, but not a $15K Monaco.

LouS likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2016

First off, please don't let this thread cross into evil territory of fakes and rip offs. The Steinhart is pushing the limit.

Second, there always have been and always will be copies. Let me see if I can find the picture of a 1950's Speedmaster clone.

SHAZAM! Found it - it was originally posted on TimeZone:

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 12, 2016
  7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 12, 2016

As Jeff points out, a true "poor man's" version is the exact same watch made for another brand. Not a look alike. This is an example of a true Poor Man's Heuer (although the Heuer pictured is not the exact same model, the Benrus was made by Heuer for Benrus. Its a Heuer Camaro 73343)..the only way to know if the OP's watch is correct is to look at the movement.

L1040998sm.jpg
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2016

redbar.jpg
    FOLKS PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THIS THREAD. WATCHES THAT THE STAFF FEEL ARE TOO CLOSE TO KNOCK-OFFS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING . AS USUAL , FORUM STAFF WILL BE THE SUPREME JUDGE IN THESE MATTERS. WHICH MEANS IF WE DON'T LIKE IT, IT'S GONE.
    redbar.jpg

bristnj likes this.
  9. watchcollect Apr 12, 2016

Really wish these weren't so hard to find :confused:

Syrte likes this.
  10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 12, 2016

Excepppppt, Geometers actually pre-date Speedies. So technically 50's Speedies are Geometer clones (sorta).

I'd rather have the 321 movement...
    [​IMG]

ulackfocus likes this.
  11. Davidt Apr 12, 2016

Isn't it a complete myth that the 'poor mans heuers' were built by a Heuer for other brands?

I thought it was more a case of other brands (Hamilton, Zodiac, Tradition etc) sourcing similar cases, dials, movements etc from the same suppliers used by Heuer, then building the watches themselves. This being possible due to the fact that like Omega with Lemania (movements), Singer (dials), HF (cases), Heuer in the 60's was more of a watch builder, than primary, inhouse manufacturer.

This is why none of the poor mans heuers have a Carrera case, as Jack Heuer negotiated an exclusivity deal for that case style. Presumably, they didn't get exclusivity for the dial, Camaro case etc.

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 12, 2016

No
    As you can see in the photo I posted above, the cases are identical. Even the reference number stamped on the case is the same 73343

Edited Apr 12, 2016
    LouS likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 12, 2016

Early Daytona circa 1968... Change the color to black...
    image.jpeg
    It's all there. Speedy clone!!!

I think when you look at mid 60's to mid 70's watches there is huge similarities for a few reasons. Movements dictated layout, as well as asthetics, there are only so many ways to lay out a watch. As for colors and designs only so many look good or are in style at the time. Not to mention dial manufacturers sold to many brands and had similar looks.

West Slope likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Apr 12, 2016

Did Heuer manufacture their own cases? Earlier on there is the ref. 174 Lemania/Omega/Tissot...

15. bristnj Apr 12, 2016

Zodiac 73463MH - True "Poor Man's" Heuer Autavia 73463 - Unfortunately, cannot find all pics right now, but as a reference regarding factory, Heuer Model and Serial Numbers between lugs. Heuer Signed Case Back. Heuer Pushers. Zodiac Signed 7734 Movement. Identical case hands/dial to Autavia 73463. Most Heuer experts agree that this watch was manufactured for Zodiac by Heuer in a Heuer factory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

danomar likes this.
  16. West Slope Apr 12, 2016

I love the look of the top time but it looks familiar....obviously a different case but I agree you only have so many options regarding the layout.... Picture008.jpg.cf.jpg TAY_1705.jpg

17. danomar Apr 12, 2016

I would argue that the Rodania Geometer is worth being in its own category. As ChicagoFrog noted, it pre-dates the Speedmaster and is a fairly different want all its own. The two-register Excelsior Park version is also very similar but also very different.

This Dugena uses the same case as the Heuer 7723 (Dugena marks it as the 73323) and both its hands and dial very closely resemble 1970's Carreras:

IMG_7827s.JPG

My Bulova 7605 (coincidentally being worn today) uses Heuer's 1163V case (it even has 1163V engraved between the lugs) but is all Bulova:

IMG_6597s.JPG

This might look like a Heuer Silverstone or the Sinn 105, but it is neither:

IMG_4319s.JPG

Heuer Audi Sport? Nope, this comes straight from the source:

IMG_5293s.JPG
    Hm. It seems I have a few Heuer-alikes. Not intentional. I never did like the term "Poor Man's X" anyway. :)

TNTwatch and bristnj like this.
  18. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2016

Thanks for the nugget of information!

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 12, 2016

As you can see in the photo I posted above, the cases are identical. Even the reference number stamped on the case is the same 73343
    No they did not...but since the case is using the Heuer reference number it tells me that Heuer made this watch.

20. bristnj Apr 12, 2016

I love the love the Bulova. To me, another argument for a watch that likely came from Heuer, especially with 1163V engraving and Cal.15 mvt too.