Forums Latest Members

Poor service from a boutique or am I expecting too much?

1. Steve Essex Dec 1, 2019

On Friday evening, I was looking for a nato strap for my Speedmaster '57 so I emailed the Bluewater Omega boutique asking if they had the one I was interested in, in stock. On Saturday morning, I decided to go over there anyway to do some Christmas shopping so I called in the boutique thinking I could get a better idea of what it would look like against the actual watch. I asked if they stocked nato straps and I was told that they only had those that were on show. "Oh, where are they" I asked. "Just dotted around the store" I was told. I was the only person in the shop and there were two assistants, neither of them made any effort to show me. I looked around with them just watching me. They had just two! I left and decided I’ll just have to order it online. Oh, and I’m still waiting for a reply to my email. Does that constitute poor service or was I just expecting too much?

I’d appreciate your opinions please on whether this strap goes with the watch - here's a mock up I saw on this site.

65283DC3-4042-4DC1-BEFC-D9D5266C59D4.png

Edited Dec 1, 2019
    watchos likes this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Dec 1, 2019

Sounds like poor service to me. Not sure about the strap.

3. Huus Dec 1, 2019

Saturday morning? Hungover maybe?

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 1, 2019

Since you ask, thumbs down to the strap

5. CPRwatch Dec 1, 2019

Luck you ,Oh how I would like to walk into my local AD & just be left alone for 2 minutes before at least 4 assistants ask “ are you looking for something in particular “ or “are you being looked after “ . Sometimes I just want to look at the watches on offer . If I’m after something I will ask, I know the assistants are just doing their job , but it’s so off putting sometimes . And like the watch ,but don’t think the strap does it any favours .

marco and Civic4982 like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 1, 2019

Weekend casuals are never as good as the staff that work Monday to Friday ;)
    Also a Friday evening email isn’t getting answered to Monday morning.

7. Martin_J_N Dec 1, 2019

I wanted a Nato for my Speedmaster a few months back and went into the same store, I asked about Nato's and the SA replied that they don't stock Nato straps other than the ones that are in the display cases, yes they can get them but the best way to buy a Nato is via the Omega website, service is pretty quick and much quicker than buying through the store.

A strap was ordered when we got home that evening and delivered 72 hours later, nicely boxed, with strap tool, spare pins all together in a nice red Omega case.

No issues with the store for me, I have always found them to be polite, helpful and accommodating, they even showed me how to take off the bracelet on my Speedmaster and fit the Nato, totally free of charge and whilst we had a coffee and chatted about watches.

8. rob#1 Dec 1, 2019

The sales clerk at my local OB got out a tray full of straps, NATOs and the like the last time I was there. Why wouldn’t you have them in stock?

9. Steve Essex Dec 1, 2019

Well, they must read this forum - I've received a reply this morning and they said the same. I think I’ll order one online and I can at least return it if it doesn’t suit the watch.

10. stevec14 Dec 1, 2019

They have loads of straps in the regent street boutique and service is always good there. I’d put it down to an off day mate.

I think the brown leather nato might look nice.

11. Meme-Dweller Dec 1, 2019

An actual OB or an AD? The attitudes are different at my local stores where my AD doesn't care about anything other than selling watches and refers you to go to the OB. Local OB has a whole drawer of random straps and buckles and even let me go through it to find what I needed and offered to let me surf the Omega Extranet to find stuff that wasn't there. Of course, I bought a strap and clasp and it ended up being $500 lol.

12. Donn Chambers Dec 1, 2019

Unusual service for an OB — I’ve never experienced that. Sounds like it might have been an AD with a separate Omega “boutique” section.

anyway, as others have said, ordering a NATO online is the way to go because you get extra goodies.

I think the gray/black strap looks fine. The tan barenia would look better, but some might say my tastes are questionable.

998EFDF1-CD1E-4C7C-81AF-E0B685DF1614.jpeg

13. mjb Dec 1, 2019

Nice BMW, Steve.

Unfortunately it seems that good service is the exception rather than the norm today. I also wouldn't expect them to have a good selection of straps, quite frankly, but then I'm one who's going to buy something like that on the Internet and save hundreds. It's just a piece of fabric.

I don't care for the suggested combo, but then I'm also not a nato fan.

14. kip595 Dec 1, 2019

I had a similar albeit different experience recently (different brand, but I won’t disparage them). I’d asked them to hold a watch briefly (about an hour), asked if they needed a hold deposit, and was assured by the manager it was fine. Came back an hour later, the watch sold by the assistant clerk. The apologetic manager could only say: “I’m sorry. He’s just out of college, thinks the sale is everything.”

I don’t fault the brand or even the manager. People, unfortunately, are fallible, myself included.

FWIW, I actually like the NATO on this, depending on the occasion.

15. Steve Essex Dec 3, 2019

Well, I had another go tonight. Went to Emson Haig Omega store in Lakeside. The sales assistant couldn’t have been more helpful. He had a few different types in store and fitted them to my watch for me to try out. As it happens, none of them suited. In fact I went right off of getting a nato for my ‘57. The double strap underneath the watch combined with the crystal case back made it sit too high on my wrist leaving a big gap between the straps where they went through the lugs. Oh well, I tried! Would definitely rate Emson Haig for customer service though. In fact, thinking back, when I wanted to fit an adjustable clasp to my SMPc 300, they were the only ones that offered to get it in for me.

larryganz likes this.
  16. Evitzee Dec 3, 2019

Every store can have spotty service at times, hiring motivated people for commission is always difficult. I always give them a second chance before crossing them off the list. I don't fret over it.

Edited Dec 3, 2019