Forums Latest Members

Did I expect too much from Omega?

1. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

Hello guys.

Wanted to tell you about an experience I had with Omega:

Omega Speedmaster 38 Co-Axial Reference: 324.30.38.50.06.001
    Retail 4800$

I bought this watch from a grey market dealer with 5 years of international Omega warranty for 3500$.

Early november I received the watch. I noticed that the Large Second Hand wasnt smooth at all, so I sent it back to the grey market dealer, and he sent it back to Omega. I live in a remote place, so I dont have any Omega Boutiques near me. But I do live in Switzerland. I especially wanted a summary of what has been done to my watch at the repair shop.

A month lather, early December, I got the watch back. Without the summary tho, I said to myself thats not too big of an issue. After I wore the watch on my arm I noticed something: The same problem was still there and I had many more problems now, not centered Date wheel, semi-Loose minute and hour markers, the chronograph sometimes just didnt want to work when I pressed the button. Did they even check my watch??

I wanted to send it to the Omega Boutique myself, because it takes a little longer if I send it back to the grey market dealer. I wrote an Email to that specific Boutique, asking what I have to send it in with, because its my first luxury watch and I dont know anything about that, and it doesnt say anything on the Omega page. I also asked if it could possible to open the case of my grandpas old Omega watch, to see if its genuine, just opening it.

After 2 weeks with no answer I decided to just visit that Boutique.

When I was there the Manager of that boutique was already pissed off with an elderly man, who didnt understand his name properly and asked twice. The manager answered aggressively with his name. The old man bought an Omega bracelet, and asked for his name, in case problems happen with it.

After that he came to me, I explained that after the first warranty case, the watch came back with more problems. He asked how much I paid for the watch and from where I bought it. When he heard that I paid 1300$ less than retail he got reaaaaalyyy salty. He laughed and said "Not gonna say anything more".

I asked him if he received my E-Mails, he said he saw them but ignored them because they werent so "important". Cmon really you dont say that to a customer.

He said logically I have to send in the warranty and Service card together with the watch, very obvious he said. How should I know? Its my first luxury watch. Also he said that I have to send my grandfathers Omega to the Omega Repairshop to get a totalrevision, that was the only way, everyone knows that he said. Thats why I specifically asked if he could just open it up there, I mean its from 1970, Im not gonna spend money on it.

I dealt with everything and asked him if I could get a summary of what got repaired in my watch this time, of course he said. And after begging him to send the watch back home after repair he finally gave in and wanted 20 bucks.

After 1 month, I called there to see what is happening with my watch. The woman on the phone really didnt wanna speak to me, called it a "special case" and when I said I want a summary with the watch she said "Of course we know", and pretty much hung up on me.

2 Weeks after that call I got the watch back, with no summary, everything is fine but the chronograph start stop didnt work the first day for like 4 times.

Well I dont know what to do now, I googled and read some critic about the customer service of omega and I can only agree.

I told myself I wouldnt buy an Omega again and bought a Rolex Datejust. Is it even worth complaining to the Omega headquarters?

Sorry for my bad english.

2. 124watchfan Mar 8, 2019

Did you buy your Datejust from a grey marker seller too?

3. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

I did, 2007 Datejust Turn-O-Graph. The guys at Bucherer didnt mind at all. Asked them about a complete revision

4. hbombkid Mar 8, 2019

Sorry you are having a hard time and some will say the opposite but for warranty items just call a service center directly. Don’t go to an AD, OB etc. it’s easier to just deal one on one. The only way I would let an AD or OB be in the middle was if I had an awesome relationship with them.

I am thinking the OB is angry you went grey market but should not matter customer service is customer service.

I know it’s to late for a direct interaction but maybe call the service center where they sent it and might get a better answer.

5. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

He treated me really bad, I get it if hes a bit upset because I went grey market but cmon really? And also omega "fixes" my watch and it comes back more broken than before, what kind of miracle is that?

vitriol likes this.
  6. 124watchfan Mar 8, 2019

Well sorry for your trouble but the willingness to save a bunch of money using a grey marker seller also comes with the willingness to absorb the risk of having to repair it under their warranty. You won’t get much empathy for a defective product bought under those circumstances. I see people willing to take that risk almost daily most times it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. There is chance that buying outside the network means possibly buying problem watches to begin with and having to deal with the consequences. Every company has a few defective units...

lando likes this.
  7. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

Yes that can happen but how can Omega fix my watch and break it even more??

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2019

Sounds like your where at an AD. Also sounds like your grey market didn’t send it to Omega. Which is the problem esp if you talked to an OB. Hence now a special case. They want to do what’s right but it was opened up by a random person which voids the warranty.

You have a valid warranty card, what you paid doesn’t matter.

tyrantlizardrex and MG-Speedy like this.
  9. 124watchfan Mar 8, 2019

Well if they can’t provide you proof that it was worked on can you be absolutely sure it was? What boutique did you go to and who was the manager? Do you have an omega international warranty card that came with your watch? Most grey market sellers don’t provide omega warranty cards.

10. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

I have an internaitonal warranty card, omega itseld from biel headquarters confirmed that they received the watch twice there.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2019

Then they should make sure it is 100% working correctly. No question about that.

12. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

I wouldnt complain otherwise Im so lost

13. Meme-Dweller Mar 8, 2019

Sorry, but this whole story sounds very exaggerated or seen through the eyes of someone with social isolation. Not everyone in the world is out to get you.

Omega will take care of all the warranty issues. Relax.

14. 124watchfan Mar 8, 2019

They confirmed this to you directly? Don’t take this wrong but are u operating the watch correctly? If all u say Is true and omega headquarters worked on the watch then post them your problem and arrange to send it to them directly. Someone is giving you the runaround and I doubt it’s omega HQ.

15. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

Yeah they will eventually, but I sent a brand new watch in for warranty in the first 3 months. Its not exaggerated but I wouldnt believe it myself if I heard it from someone else.

16. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

Yes I am. The Boutique in Lucerne sends it directly to the headquarters. Its okay right now but Im amazed

17. valkyrie_rider Mar 8, 2019

18. Alpay3599 Mar 8, 2019

I heard the 3330 is supposed to be one of omegas best workhorses

19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 8, 2019

Seems like an email to Omega about your poor experience with the OB would be in order. If people do not tell them about their bad experiences they will not know, and will not be able to work to get the OB back on track.

As far as getting a write-up of the work, I'm guessing the OB did not receive one even though they put in the request, so there was nothing for them to send you. I would ask Omega for the info (I am assuming your paperwork has a case # on it).

kilofinal likes this.
  20. valkyrie_rider Mar 8, 2019

@Alpay3599: I'm not so sure. It is a modified Valjoux 7750 with column wheel + co-axial escapement.

While the Valjoux is a reliable workhorse, this 3300 remains unproven.

Edited Mar 8, 2019