Forums Latest Members

Polishing watch bracelet - Advisable or No?

1. AJwala Mar 23, 2019

Hi All
    I read somewhere that it is advisable not to polish watch bracelets, bezel. It hampers the watch. Is it true?
    I had just polished by Seamaster bracelet some time ago. What would you advise?

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. Omegafanman Mar 23, 2019

I have read a lot of different advice and it depends on the value and age of the item. I am sure there will be experts on the forum who can help. For old and valuable items I imagine the more original and untouched the better. For new watches I have had marks removed and it works well but of course you loose some watch material. For older items I have had sympathetic / very light polishing done but it can be overdone in the wrong hands. A starting point might be to define the term polishing... I am sure others will help

3. AJwala Mar 23, 2019

Interesting, thanks alot. yes, I am worried about that, the watches loose watch material while polishing. Vintage watches should be avoided.

4. gbesq Mar 23, 2019

Depends on your personal preference and whether you ever intend to sell the watch. If you intend to keep the watch for your personal use and you, like me, hate the idea of scuffs, scratches, etc. marring your $5,000 Moonwatch, then I see nothing wrong with a light polishing DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL WHO KNOWS WHAT HE/SHE IS DOING. Overpolishing can ruin a watch. If you plan to sell the watch to a collector, I would refrain from polishing it as many collectors view scrapes, scuffs and scratches as part of a watch’s vintage character and polishing detracts from that aged look as well as the value of the watch.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. AJwala Mar 23, 2019

Got it. Understood. If you have a vintage watch that could be of high value in the future don't polish, leave it in its natural conditions. That is what makes it vintage

6. Omegafanman Mar 23, 2019

7. AJwala Mar 23, 2019