Forums Latest Members
  1. YOSDav Oct 7, 2018

Greetings OF

What is everyone's opinion about polishing acrylic/bakelite bezel inserts with polywatch.

Does it carry the same kind of stigma as polishing cases? I understand cases need to retain their form and shape. Most bezel inserts are flat but I can see excessive polishing being a problem (especially if the insert loses height) but not sure that could happen if you are only using polywatch.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

2. redpcar Oct 7, 2018

You will get the polish residue into cracks where it is not easily removed. I leave my bakelite bezels alone. Mess with them too much and you "DOINK" out a chunk. That said, I assume you are talking about the SM300.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 7, 2018

Wouldnt polyvwatch like destroy the bezel? Isn't it abrasive?

4. Dan S Oct 7, 2018

Very fine abrasive. I think it would polish bakelite in a similar way as acrylic by removing very fine scratches. But I can't imagine how that would really help a bezel insert in any significant way.

5. YOSDav Oct 8, 2018

Yep, for me, I would be referring to my watchco sm300. The bezel came with hundreds of miniscule scratches. A few were even deep enough were you could almost catch your fingernail in them.

I just spent almost 2 hours with a paddle pop stick, a microfiber cloth and not tooo much polywatch.

This is the end result:

20181008_215725.jpg

Personally, I am very proud.

Pun likes this.
  6. YOSDav Oct 8, 2018

On another note, I think you do want to leave bakelite bezels alone - I have just read that bakelite is quite poisonous if disturbed :confused:

7. Slowpoker Oct 8, 2018

Indeed I've heard the same thing, there must be a reason why they phased out Bakelite in the first place right?

However acrylic would polish pretty well if polywatch is used sparingly, use it too much and you'll just wear through the Bezel or weaken it.