Forums Latest Members

Polished Speedmaster bracelet.. buy a link or a replacement?

1. WYO_Watch May 7, 2017

Recently picked up my speedmaster pro and absolutely love it. Little back story, I actually bought a reduced and a pro at the same time to compare... IMO there wasn't much comparison.

Only issue is that the person who owned the Speedy before me had the brushed bracelet completely polished off... At first I didn't think that it would bug me, but unfortunately after wearing it for a week I am certain I need another link (literally a half link...) New link will likely still have its original brushed look and I am guessing I will notice.

Looks like the price of a link on feebay is $50-60 which seems pretty high. Would it be advisable to buy a link, or just replace the bracelet? I would sell the polished bracelet and hopefully recoup some money, but will almost undoubtedly be out more with the bracelet buy.

IMG_6487.JPG IMG_6490.JPG IMG_6324.JPG

2. wsfarrell May 7, 2017

I'd be happy to brush the entire bracelet for you for the price of postage. I believe the two thin inner sections are supposed to be polished, but that's probably beyond my amateur capabilities. PM if interested.

U5512 and WYO_Watch like this.
  3. yinzerniner May 7, 2017

Not sure the exact reference of your Speedy Bracelet since there are at least 5 iterations with the 5 row configuration (b/p/b/p/b brushed/polished) but replacement links directly from an OB run from $25-55.
    As for getting it back to the original finish, it can be done pretty easily and cheaply. Easily if you're handy with masking tape and a green scotch pad, and cheaply if you can take it to a nearby jeweler (anywhere between $30-100) or sending it to @wsfarrell, who's a total creep/nutjob!
    But for real it's not a big endeavor either route you take, and certainly cheaper than trying to source another bracelet.

4. WYO_Watch May 7, 2017

Is this something I could purchase over the phone and have shipped? I am pretty far from an OB unfortunately. As the immediate honeymoon period ended with the speedy I just realized I need a link if I want it to be comfortable.

A 1998 bracelet on eBay is roughly $400 - so if I could recoup $350 for what I have, it would be 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

@wsfarrell thank you so much for the offer. I may be PM-ing you soon. I would want to source the missing link ::rimshot:: before I send it to you if that's alright.

5. mikekilo725 May 7, 2017

It looks like a 1479 bracelet. I just picked a couple links on eBay last week. Around $50 per link. You are correct that the thin inner links are polished. Also, just recently picked up the actual 1479 for around $225 from a private seller as the 1479 is discontinued and the boutique doesn't sell it nor the extra links.

6. WYO_Watch May 7, 2017

I guess I could be wrong, but the clasp is definitely marked 1998. I am fairly certain that it is just a polished 1998/849.

7. yinzerniner May 7, 2017

I've had OB's ship items to me before, so it should be possible. Also, the 1/2 link from the 1610 SMP "Speedy Style" bracelet is a plug and play alternative, so you can further dial in the fit with your 1998/840 bracelet. Or you could fit the ratcheting clasp and really get a perfect fit.

That being said I highly doubt you'd be able to recoup $350 for your bracelet in it's current state - incorrectly polished and short. Best bet is to source what you need, and go from there.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. WYO_Watch May 7, 2017

Sounds like I should just snag a 1/2 link from the 1610 and send it off to @wsfarrell (so long your precious comments about him aren't true :eek:).

Not trying to be dense here, but will this link work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...246382?hash=item1c8323cf2e:g:NvkAAOSwAANY8iOzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

9. w.finkenstaedt May 8, 2017

Definitely not a 1479, and 1479 is not polished at all.

IMG_0411.JPG

WYO_Watch likes this.
  10. WYO_Watch May 8, 2017

Didn't think so, but I appreciate you clearing the air.

And BTW... your watch looks absolutely phenomenal :cool: could you spare me a little patina?

11. w.finkenstaedt May 8, 2017

Patina is not all it's cracked up to be (pun intended). I have to baby my Speedy on sunny days, hence the purchase of a fairly unique speedy:

B46A39FF-2C56-457C-A37C-8B7C22CB6DC2.jpg

WYO_Watch likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2017

Yes, you need a 1610 1/2 link - no idea what the one in the advert is because they don't state a part number. The part number you need is a
    115ST1610.

In terms of refinishing, yes it should be brushed with the 2 narrow strips polished. I repair a lot of amateur refinishing jobs people do at home. Nothing against the offer being made, but I would personally recommend finding someone who has the equipment and skills to do the job right. Coincidentally I refinished one of these yesterday that had a very uneven finish from a DIY refinish...before photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

Refinishing is a skill like any other, and takes time to learn how to do it properly. If done improperly it can cause damage that is difficult to repair.

Cheers, Al

13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 8, 2017

I vote to have your bracelet refinished. As Al mentioned find someone that knows how to properly do the refinish.
    Many years ago I picked up a old jewelers buffer from a jeweler that was closing up shop. With the proper tools bracelets & cases are fairly easy to do. However refinishing is not a job I enjoy doing, it's a messy job.

jb.jpg
    WYO_Watch likes this.
  14. mikekilo725 May 8, 2017

Deepest apologies for adding confusion, missed the part of OP stating it was a 1998. I now return you to your orginal programming

15. Perseus May 8, 2017

I had the same bracelet on Great White and it was completely brushed, but the all polished is hideous. Going all brushing is easy, but a DIY brushed and polished job would take a lot more work in my opinion.