Forums Latest Members
  1. fenomeno Feb 22, 2020

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a UG Polerouter Sub, 869116-02. As per the picture, the seconds hand seems to be bronze in color and peeling, while the hour/minute hands are golden and peeling as well. I have tried searching here and on instagram and couldn't find other Subs that aged the same way. Was wondering if this is normal. I could replace the hands or alternatively renickel. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

IMG_20200203_221250_011.jpg
    PrincipeAsturie likes this.
  2. bristnj Feb 22, 2020

Have never seen one where the hands patina’d like this. Interesting. There are several sets of NOS hands on eBay. Most are the Orange/White combo sets. Perhaps the seller (reputable guy) has a steel set. I’d check with him, as it would be better with original steel and lume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...981432?hash=item3421a85d38:g:dHYAAOSwj-5eAQyNPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3. fenomeno Feb 22, 2020

Thanks, this is a great option actually. Kind of hesitating, however, because i would be replacing the watch's original parts and this could affect its value. The alternative i am considering is to simply renickel the hands.

4. Diabolik Feb 23, 2020

I have never seen a Sub with gold hands. I presume they were gold plated at some point or are maybe from another watch as it is pretty rare for plating on hands to just flake off. Your best bet is to purchase an original set of hands. The y do not come up often and for such a rare watch, they are definitely worth the asking price!

JimJupiter, HeuerLoon and bristnj like this.
  5. HeuerLoon Feb 25, 2020

I agree. The gold plated hands look correct. Another option is that could send them off to be replated in silver/chrome finish

6. fenomeno Jun 3, 2020

Here it is (after changing hour + minute hands). Still need to change that seconds hand!

DSCF0144-Edit-Edit.jpg
    Carlton-Browne and JimJupiter like this.
  7. JimJupiter Jun 3, 2020

Can't see a pic :)

8. fenomeno Jun 3, 2020

strange, the file was attached but not showing. compressed the image quality, it should work now

9. JimJupiter Jun 3, 2020

Now its working! Looks far better, nice!

I am not sure how good your watchmaker skills are, but there is something called "Magic Rhodium". You could try this and "cold-plate" your second hand without destroying the lume (looks like the plating is still good where the lume is).

10. fenomeno Jun 3, 2020

Yeah i asked about this, he said he can't do it without affecting the lume, so I took a pass.