Forums Latest Members
  1. watch_treasures Jul 27, 2018

Hello:

This Polerouter quit running and my watch repair guy said that it neds a Staff and Pallet Arbor. He didn't feel qualified to repair and stated I might want to send it somewhere (he is 93 years old!). I paid $135 US for the watch a few years back so I don't have a huge investment in it (yet!). It is a caliber 215.

My questions are:

Is it worth repairing?

Any recommendations on a watch repair person that is knowledgeable on Polerouters (USA)?

Thanks!

Rick

[​IMG] [​IMG]

GuiltyBoomerang and noelekal like this.
  2. FREDMAYCOIN Jul 27, 2018

Yes and yes. Where are you located?

3. watch_treasures Jul 27, 2018

Iowa, USA.

Thanks!

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 27, 2018

Here at the Home For Wayward Watches your watch would be a candidate for a rehab effort. Though it could be due to optical distortion the cross hair alignment appears a little off and the crown has that "replacement look" about it but I'm not familiar with all things Polerouter. For low cash outlay you invested in purchasing the watch it would certainly be worth investigating.

Paulomega and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  5. Mazoue Jul 27, 2018

Based on the photos provided, the dial looks fine to me - I've seen that gold dial with those gold minute markers before. In terms of the alignment, the marker ring is possibly very slightly off-centre.

The crown is almost certainly a replacement. The gold plated crowns are very often replaced, presumably because the plating wore off.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  6. watch_treasures Jul 27, 2018

The crown is definitely a replacement. I believe the dial is original. I took my picture off center as I had trouble with light relections. Maybe that is why it looks a little skewed.

I think it is a cool watch, but I am concerned about repairs (and cost!).

Thanks!

Rick

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 27, 2018

My watchmaker can do it. They have a line on parts. Won't be cheap though ($3-400+) and these are a bear to fix but worth it. PM sent.

8. Ebuster Jul 28, 2018

Hi to all in the polerouter forum, I have a similar question to the earlier post, about a Polerouter Jet that has been in a drawer for 15 years. Is this worth fixing? It cost me about $150 & I have an est from a watchmaker of around $250. I am thinking of emptying those drawers and moving some items along. I have been interested in not particularly knowledgeable about a range watches over time.

29AB761A-B3AA-4089-BD14-3B743056A0B5.jpeg 38DDE426-1519-43DA-A08D-C581C2DF9700.jpeg B084506F-3FBC-4640-A418-DE481DED6E9D.jpeg 42387CBD-E737-4D51-BBC0-BA11C1BA3CA0.jpeg
  9. Ebuster Jul 28, 2018

I forgot to mention this watch has the 218-9 movement

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 28, 2018

These are not as desirable as the Genta design. Still $250 is a normal rate for a Three hander. $500+ resale value.

11. cande Jul 28, 2018

for the OP and for the Jet, they are worth the repair and you can even sell them for more than the purchase price plus repair but if it were me, they would be keepers

12. ClarendonVintage Jul 28, 2018

If this entails seeking our subjective opinions on how desirable it is (to be worthy of repairing), then hell yes.

13. Woops Jul 28, 2018

Around here they will almost always say “raise the wreck”. Please share the post-restoration pictures - cheers!

14. Jonatan Jul 28, 2018

In my opinion, every watch is worth fixing but I will admit that I am biased.

For this particular model, they may not be as desired as the Genta designed, but they are uncommon. Unfortunately, I have some doubts about the originality of your dial. I have never seen one of these "Big U" dials with "Swiss Made" or "Microrotor" written on the dial and I believe to be a redial. This would greatly affect the resale value of your watch. If it was to sell it would be for a collector that has a spare dial.

If you like this watch and you want to keep it, this is a different question. The microtor is a great movement. Think of what watch you could buy today for less than 1000$.

Edited Jul 29, 2018
  15. Jonatan Jul 29, 2018

Now it makes me wonder if a black dial version of these exists!

16. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 29, 2018

@watch_treasures - yes it is worthwhile to repair. That caseback alone is a fair chunk of value to the wwatch, as is the relatively unpolished lugs. Crowns will be a trickier thing to source, though if you're happy to go hunting then by all means. Otherwise I'd say enjoy it once it's serviced!

@Ebuster for the price that you got it for it's a bargain. While the dial is questionable (the U should never be at the top of the dial, there should always be a marker indice and the U just under it in closest variants,) getting it serviced and ready to wear will be equivalent to $400USD, whereas you will find most serviced Polerouters costing at least twice to three times that amount these days.

watch_treasures likes this.
  17. Mazoue Jul 29, 2018

@GuiltyBoomerang Although I agree with @Jonatan that the Polerouter Jet has been redialled, there are a number of examples of genuine and original Polerouter Jet dials with a big U at the top of the dial.

I will leave @Jonatan to post some pictures as he owns a few.

18. Ebuster Jul 29, 2018

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated. I considered the dial may have been retouched though the hands look aged and I assumed the markers we're original. In my limited research i have seen other Polerouters which share the same automatic and micro rotor text or the swiss made rather than swiss, (without knowing if these were all original dials or not) though not quite together on another single watch.

19. Jonatan Jul 29, 2018