Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Electric 1963 Caliber UG60

1. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 9, 2013

Hi!
    Like to share some info on a Polerouter I own and have not seen to often.
    UG launched this as their first electric in 1963. It has a LIP/R148 derived UG60 caliber reworked by UG with nice decorations and added jewels (14 vs LIP 12 or 13).
    I have had some correspondence with the friendly staff at UG and they confirm the background info and even sent me an extract of their UG history book.
    The price of the watch when new in 1963 was CHF150. UG was not able to confirm production numbers, but states that it was "low".

My watch is in a very good and un-restored condition. When I obtained it a couple of years back it came with the original strap (dried out but there) and the original buckle.

BTW: It is not for sale!

Sorry for the poor image quality of the movement. It is actually very nice looking!

Best regards from Norway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 9, 2013

How on earth does that thing work? That's a balance wheel isn't it?

3. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 9, 2013

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 9, 2013

Absolutely fascinating example Northernman - a very rare example of a transitional technology.

I'm struck again at the examples of Polerouters from Scandinavia. Is it because this was a popular watch originally due to the SAS tie-in, or are modern day Scandinavian collectors drawn to them for the same reason. For example, did you find that one in NOrway ro elsewhere?

Also, I'm interested to hear about your experience contacting UG. Have they a formal historical service? Have you contact info?

5. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 9, 2013

My fascination for the Polerouters was maybe initially sparked by the SAS tie-in, however the example featured here was bought from France.

UG does not have the organization like Omega and a few others for handling requests, however I made an inquiry at [email protected].
    It took some time to get a response, but once contact had been established they where very helpful indeed.

UG is one of the most undervalued "finer" brands in my opinion.
    A part of their history mostly overlooked by collectors is their part in developing the modern electric/electronic watches. In addition to the Electric model I also have in my collection a tuning fork (Unisonic Chronometer) and the White Shadow Quartz (once the thinnest quartz watch on sale). The combination of forefront technology and very high standard of finish really sets UG apart.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 9, 2013

You won't get an argument on this forum.

Northernman likes this.
  7. Carlton-Browne Sep 11, 2013

That's a very interesting calibre indeed. Do I take it that the battery goes under the plate that has Universal Geneve engraved on it?

8. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 11, 2013

Yes the battery will go there. It works great also with modern 1.55V cells (the old mercury cells had different voltage level back in the days), however I do not store the watch with a battery inside. The caliber may be found (in a simler form) in watches from the French company LIP.

This site has good information on these early electrical watches: http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/make/lip/r148/r148.php

Carlton-Browne likes this.
  9. Carlton-Browne Sep 11, 2013

Thanks, I'm happy to say that I'm quite familiar with Electric Watches - Paul has worked on, I think, all of my Unisonics etc.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 12, 2013

Great guy! Warmly recommended. He also serviced my Omega Megasonic 720 back to perfection!

11. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 16, 2013

Very interesting! I have not seen one of those before. Thanks... One more to look for.

Northernman likes this.