Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Mar 19, 2014

Gentlemen,

I really know nothing of UG, except that I REALLY like them. Any thoughts on this one? Kosher? Any ideas on how much it would actually be wise to spend? Maybe it's a bit overpolished? Crown also seems to be a bit funny...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

Best,

Paulo

2. Hijak Mar 19, 2014

I'm no expert either (been looking for SS black dial also) but yes the crown looks funny, the dial looks like it has the measels and I'm pretty sure the outside of the case back should have numbers on it. Also the rotor looks funky...

EDIT: That case looks a bit different, maybe just really polished.

3. Hijak Mar 19, 2014

For comparison...

Polerouter.jpg

This type is what I've been looking at

4. Hijak Mar 19, 2014

Movement photo...

Polerouter Movement.jpg

5. Hijak Mar 19, 2014

Case back photo...

Case Back.jpg

The casebacks vary a bit but I think most have the numbers...well see what the experts have to say.::popcorn::

6. Dablitzer Mar 19, 2014

dantaspaulo likes this.
  7. dantaspaulo Mar 19, 2014

Thanks, Hijak. I was thinking that maybe those spots were somethink like a stardust effect we see in some Omegas, but upon closer inspection, aye, measles.

Seeing the example you posted I can see my example has just been... defaced-polished (is there a word in English for that? Butchered?). :cautious:

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 19, 2014

It's possible that it's all correct, but I really am not familiar with this case style. You might want to look here for matches:

http://www.polerouter.de/frameset-collection.htm

I think you can do better. Here's one I posted in recommended UG's on eBay thread:

I see that the price has gone up quite a bit since it was originally posted.

Patience is a virtue,
    gatorcpa

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    dantaspaulo likes this.
  9. woodwkr2 Mar 19, 2014

It's a different case style, guys. Yes, it looks like it has been polished, but no they did not bludgeon the lugs with a file like I think you're thinking...

Dial looks original (yes, measles, but all over, so some call that 'patina'). Hands are correct. Crown is a replacement. Crystal is likely original and with a loupe would probably have the UG crown floating in the middle as with Omega crystals. Those wedge magnifiers were OEM.

This caseback has the heavy stamped UG logo on the inside, so it likely had a very shallow reference and case number on the outside. It may still be there or may have been polished out (it's easy to do on some of them).

That movement actually looks to be in pretty decent condition. You have to get past the micro-rotor. Unlike with some watches, a dingy colored rotor does not usually mean that the rotor has been wearing against the caseback. Rather, the rotors were electroplated in a very thin layer of gold. Some of the old ultrasonic tanks and watch cleaning machines are particularly aggressive and can actually strip that layer right off. So it may point to a previous owner who actually cared for their watch and had it serviced. If it bothered you enough you could always have some 18K electroplated right back on, though the finish wouldn't be as pretty.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  10. Hijak Mar 19, 2014

Wow, thanks Gator that is a great reference for the Polerouter! This will be very helpful in our searches.:thumbsup:

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 19, 2014

Correct. I used to think these were savage overpolishes too, but too many around. I associate this case style with the single horizontal line on the dial, as opposed to crosshairs, but I haven't actually put that hypothesis to the test - with UG's mix-and-match habit, it probably won't stand up to scrutiny.

agree that it's original but for the crown. Look here for the reference and case numbers - I see some likely scratches

uuniversal-polerouter-date-automatico-12721-MLB20065057953_032014-F.jpg

dantaspaulo likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 19, 2014

It took me a couple of years to find the serial numbers on my Polerouter date (more standard style case). I had a friend with a super macro lens zoom in on it just so I could identify the model later:

[​IMG]

Also, the Polerouter site says, that towards the end of production of the Polerouter Date model, a "more massive design" of case was used with the cal. 69 and 1-69 movements. And here it is:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. timeismoney Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for this lesson, Woodwkr2!

14. timeismoney Mar 19, 2014

And Gatorcpa, too! I am patiently looking for a nice example. This thread definitely helps. I am still getting over my Constellation obsession...

15. dantaspaulo Mar 20, 2014

Considering the watch I posted is selling for just about 200 bucks, it would not be such a bad deal, then? I kind of like the patina, really. I probably like it more with the patina. :D

Oy... I thought I only liked Omegas...

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 20, 2014

$200 is a fantastic deal!

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2014

For that price, grab it.
    gatorcpa

18. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

You can't buy a parts movement for $200. Buy it!

19. dantaspaulo Mar 20, 2014

Done. Thank you for all the enabling, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

20. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

Good work. We expect pictures once it's on your wrist! ;)