Forums Latest Members
  1. LaurentBxl May 20, 2016

Hi all,
    We already debated the hands on this one (see topic watches on Ebay). They do not look original (I knew that before buying and kind of like them), but I had a smile on my face when i received the watch this morning (Fedex, 2 days from Mexico to Belgium, not too bad)...
    - The serial numbers are visible on the back, i could not see them on the Ebay pictures and thought the case/back was bold
    - The case is stunning (I like the bumper one a lot) and in great shape, no sign of heavy polishing, very well preserved
    - The hands do blend with the dial quite well, they are rusted but nowhere near what i was expecting...
    Very happy camper here, thanks you all again for your input, it is highly appreciated.
    A few pictures just for the pleasure of sharing,
    Good weekend,

IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG

Giff2577, X350 XJR, nightowl and 13 others like this.
  2. Severin May 20, 2016

Looks great. I really like the chunkiness of those 138 cases. Congrats.

3. jfwoodman May 21, 2016

Nice case and dial. I much prefer the non-date version. Enjoy!

4. Adam2941 May 23, 2016

Although I have never seen hands like that on a Polerouter, I think they could be original. In the Swiss watch industry during this period, lots of companies were supplying parts for lots of watch producers, and there is not a lot of documentation on what went where. The luminous in the hands is exactly the same color as the luminous on the dial, which looks original, so that could be an indication that it is all from the same batch and aged together. The watch has its original crown. It looks like the case may have been lightly polished at some point, which is the only indication that someone worked on the watch. But the dial is in such good shape, you have to ask why anyone would change the hands. If the dial is undamaged, chances are the original hands would be undamaged as well. Anyway, the second hand looks quite corroded (whcih I do not think is a problem), and sometimes hands age differently, but would that mean they changed the hour and minute hands but not the second hand? Seems unlikely. Are there service marks inside the case back? In any case, I think those hands could be original, and if you decide to change them out (I wouldn't), I would keep them with the watch just in case. In the past I once made the mistake of swapping an unsigned crown on one of my Polarouters with an original signed UG crown that I sourced. Luckily I saved the first one, because I later found out it was original, and I put it back! Many of the original Polarouters had unsigned crowns. Sometimes we can be too smart for our own good. Nice watch! Enjoy it! Don't worry about the hands ;-)

Giff2577 likes this.
  5. Kwijibo May 23, 2016

gorgeous watch. Nice catch. I recently misses a solid gold NOS one... crap

6. LaurentBxl May 25, 2016

T
    The hands run perfectly on the minutes chapter, length is perfect and the lume looks like it aged the same way on the dial and hands. I will not mess with it and the watch will stay that way. I don't see any sign of servicing inside the case.
    $_57.JPG $_57.JPG

I tested the watch and amplitude is 270deg, it runs fast by 6sec a day and is stable. So it has been serviced for sure and does not need any servicing right now...

7. Severin May 25, 2016

Sorry in advance for the thread hijak, but have any of you ever had a bumper spring replaced on one of these 138's? I've got a piece that is missing one of the springs and don't know where to begin. I'll check with my watchmaker in case some workable substitute can be fitted. What has been your experience in this area? I'm hoping I can avoid having to finding a donor 138... Thank you in advance

8. LaurentBxl May 25, 2016

No but it looks like a basic spring to me, as long as you find the right diameter i think you would be fine. you can still cut it to have to right length..

9. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV May 25, 2016

This post is nothing without pictures...please