Forums Latest Members
  1. twag6064 Jan 18, 2023

Good day. First post here. Been lurking on the forums as my interest in watches and watchmaking grows. Particularly Omega's.

I decided to delve into pocket watches first. I understand that they are better specimens to learn the art of watchmaking.

This is my first Omega. After a bit of searching, I stumbled on this one. My best guess is mid 30s era. Not perfect by any means sporting some wear. I do enjoy a bit of patina but it is the case in particular that drew my attention. It is different than most of the "smooth" cases I was seeing. Not sure of its authenticity as I have not run across another like it.

With all that said, I'm seeking any info on authenticity. My plan is to service the movement, maybe a slight polish on the case and enjoy it as is.

I'm interested in your comments and any info you may have. Thank you. 20230118_103610.jpg 20230118_104143.jpg 20230118_104537.jpg 20230118_104507.jpg 20230118_104356.jpg

2. Canuck Jan 18, 2023

The serial number list I referred to indicates circa 1933-34. The case is base metal alloy, possibly nickel silver. In my opinion, it is original to the watch. The case shows what I would call Art Deco influences, but there may be other opinions on that. The mechanism is standard Omega, possibly a #17, or # 18. Depending on the diameter of the movement. I have heard the style of hands called cathedral, and they appear to be original to the watch. The movement appears to have 15-jewels, a bi-metallic (temperature compensating) balance wheel, and blued steel Breguet (over coil) hairspring. The dial is metal, and it appears to me to have been anodized. It is typical of such dials to show patina. The movement is not high grade, but a good quality, average movement for the era.

So, you are planning on servicing it yourself? You’d better take a close look at your tool set up, work environment, and skill set before you embark on servicing the Omega. It is better to learn on stuff that doesn’t matter, rather than to practice on a watch you have plans for.

twag6064 likes this.
  3. twag6064 Jan 18, 2023

Thank you for the in depth info! Much to learn!

Service myself? Yes! Will dive into this one once I feel confident. I have been gradually acquiring watchmaking specific tools. I've got a handful of "cheap" pocket watches that I've been practicing on. Some success... some are still a learning work in progress. Learning what I can from outside resources as well as hands on experience (mistakes).

I've always tinkered. Something is broken, I figure out how to fix it. 30 years of mechanic experience helps. Watches are a bit different than cars but the same common sense mechanical concept applies. It's been a test of patience but I also find a sense of calming meditative peace within these little mechanical wonders .

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2023

Not much more to add than what @Canuck has said. The movement is a caliber 37.6 L15P which was introduced in 1928.

twag6064 likes this.