Forums Latest Members
  1. mjb Jun 7, 2021

I am intrigued by this watch. 215.92.40.20.01.001 is the model found here. It's the 39.5mm version of the ceramic PO although there are some slight differences between this one and the 44mm (crown, HEV and maybe others that I'm not aware of). Listed in the "women's" section of the Omega website, my arms are hairy enough to pull it off. LOL I hope.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Omega.

I'm kind of stuck on the price. Not many (none right now that I can find) available for sale used at a decent price, and new they are quite dear at $10,200 US MSRP which, to me, is a staggering premium over the "regular" PO.

All of that, I'm sure, is due to ceramics and, of course, marketing. They do it because they can.

I went to my local AD at lunch and gazed at the 46mm (OMG) PO GMT and put on the 43mm Seamaster and I really do like the ceramic case, but they are both too big. I'm going to stick with the 39mm if I get it.

I've been paring down the collection lately, getting rid of watches that I don't wear. I find that the lower tier and/or microbrands are not doing it for me. The fit and finish, styling and just plain ole' quality just isn't what I'm used to and have come to expect. I've been spoiled by Omega and that other Swiss watch company. Forgot the name. Starts with an R. ;)

But I'm having a bit of a psychological barrier on the price of this watch. Even at grey market prices, they are not inexpensive. But, if I compare it to something like the Submariner, it's a bargain. Is that the proper way to rationalize it?

And yes, I have the funds, I won't have to sell a kidney or sacrifice a child's education (although I'd be willing to, ungrateful little snots). I tend to be a bit of a flipper, tiring of whatever it is that I have and wanting something different, so getting a decent discount upfront is important, since I'm very likely going to be selling it as a used watch in the near future.

Thoughts, anyone?

KeithS, DJG2645 and Karusel like this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2021

The 39 mm version is pretty much perfect. It has presence and good looks without becoming over stated.

On ceramic this is a pretty sleek and sexy watch and IMO I like the 39 better.

on steel it’s a toss between them.

mjb likes this.
  3. Scooterino36 Jun 7, 2021

I would argue you are better served to compare the price of an alternative ceramic watch vs. a steel Rolex. If you are going to compare it to anything in steel, compare it to the same 39.5 model in steel. That’s at least how I would evaluate it.

mjb likes this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2021

I completely agree with this. This watch has no relevant comparison to a Submariner. Makes no sense (other than making you feel better about pricing.)

Edited Jun 7, 2021
    Scooterino36 and mjb like this.
  5. mjb Jun 7, 2021

Good point, thanks. Of course, then, why the huge difference between the price of the PO and the SMP? Is it all in the movement and pressure rating?

Scooterino36 likes this.
  6. Scooterino36 Jun 7, 2021

Now I think you are asking the right questions! It’s really hard to beat the value prop of the SMP within the Omega catalog. For me, I do not like the design of the current gen SMP so it’s a no-go. So I think you would need to assess the fit and design of the SMP vs. PO.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2021

Both watches will serve you well under any possible use. It's not like anyone is really going to go the extra depth on a dive. So it does come to design for the most part. I also don't like the current SMP... I actually don't like the current PO with the 8500 movement either. I like the 2500 PO and the previous clear dial SMP's.

The PO is to the SMP what the Sea Dweller is to the Submariner....so to speak. But at this point both are pretty much as good as each other.

The SMP will give you more fair proportions in terms of thickness and overall balance of the case than the 8500 PO. Get a 2500 Po though and you have a near perfect watch on design.

mjb likes this.
  8. mjb Jun 7, 2021

:)

9. Scooterino36 Jun 7, 2021

Since we are talking Omega divers, I have to recommend my personal favorite, the 233.30.41.21.01.001

2954F307-369F-4A36-8FB3-B1AD69EF57E6.jpeg
  10. JeremyS Jun 7, 2021

That's a tough premium. You have a couple non-Omega options I can think of off the top of my head. First, within the Swatch Group there's the Longines All Ceramic, https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch-hydroconquest-l3-784-4-56-9. There's also the new Tudor Black Bay ceramic. Not sure if that's your cup of tea, but it's a black diver, ceramic, etc. The Longines is not a certified chronometer, if that matters. However, the Tudor is not only a certified chronometer, but it's also METAS certified, like the Omega.

Edited Jun 7, 2021
    Blackdog, mjb and Scooterino36 like this.
  11. flw history nerd Jun 7, 2021

I love the strap you have on your SM300 in the photo. Care to share the details?

Scooterino36 likes this.
  12. mjb Jun 7, 2021

I love that sm300 @Scooterino36 but it's not ceramic. @JeremyS The longines is too big, but the tudor is a possibility, thanks for the idea.

13. Scooterino36 Jun 7, 2021

Artem straps, one of the most comfortable straps I’ve ever worn.

https://artemstraps.com/

14. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

I have that exact piece and I’m more than pleased with it. Despite being advertised on Omega’s site as a woman’s piece, the piece was listed by other ADs as men’s/unisex. The ceramic/titanium composition as well as the white gold markers, logo and hands do command a premium… stainless models feature rhodium-plated markers. if I recall correctly, this model has been discontinued early in the year.

Believe it or not, I purchased the 39.5 Deep Black a few weeks after I purchased the Sub 114060. I’ve been wearing the PO significantly more often than the Sub because it’s far more resilient, under the radar and lighter. This has become my daily and beater watch because it’s been performing so well. The Sub may have a higher resale value but what you prefer on your wrist is what counts.

it’s ultimately your money and preference that’ll make the purchase and ownership experience worthwhile.

7D5E10A6-1199-438C-BB15-A665D4469AC8.jpeg 64B36D46-FC88-48F7-A978-8179C8B321CE.jpeg B84B78F0-0CEB-4247-83B0-12744139272B.jpeg
    mjb likes this.
  15. mjb Jun 8, 2021

I'm glad you are enjoying it, thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed to read that it may be discontinued. That may explain why I'm having so much trouble finding one, and why prices are all over the place.

16. Karusel Jun 8, 2021

sure thing. If you're really interested, let me know and I'll try to get a brand new one down for you (provided that you're in the US).

17. jets Jun 11, 2021

My interest in this ref was stirred a while ago but I can even find a 39.5 to try on around here. Could you tell me how it wears vs the submariner? I have a feeling it wears a bit bigger than a sub and that'd be good for me. Perhaps a few comparison shots side by said if you have them handy?

OP it looks like a great great watch.

Karusel likes this.
  18. mjb Jun 11, 2021

The 114060 is a pretty sizeable 40mm, so I'd be curious too to read the comparison.

19. o.m.e.g.a Jun 13, 2021

Which parts of this ceramic PO are actually ceramic?

20. mjb Jun 13, 2021

It appears that everything except the following are ceramic:

Crown
    Helium valve
    Bezel (titanium)
    Hands, movement, indices, etc.