Forums Latest Members
  1. mini Jun 17, 2017

Hi Guys,

this is my first post, but I have read in this forum from time to time, especially in the vintage-corner.

To introduce myself: My name is Mathias, I live in Germany an I´m a collector of vintage Omega-Toolwatches of the 60ths and 70ths since more than 25 years.

Short time ago I could close a gap in my collection by buying a Ploprof 600 MK1.
    Usually, as far as I know, the stamps in the Monocases are in an upright position, if the crown is at the normal side.
    My case has the stamp in the Position "crown right", so I´m wondering, if this is an error or a variant.
    If the crown is on the right and the watch is worn on the left, the plastic bezel pusher cannot be operated one-handed.

I´m sure, that the case is genuine, but the stamp looks different to the common stamps of the Ploprofs I´ve seen until now.
    [​IMG]
    "Common" stamp

DSCN7277.JPG
    DSCN7284.JPG
    My stamp

DSCN7286.JPG
    Thanks for your support.
    Regards
    Mathias

2. dialstatic Jun 19, 2017

For what it's worth, mine looks like the common one (upright with crown to the left, and more space between 'swiss' and 'stainless').

As you said though, I think it's highly unlikely your case is in any way fake. Probably just a variation.

DSCF0040.JPG

3. mini Jun 19, 2017

Thanks for Your reply, dialstatic, the stamps really look quite different...
    That might be a variation of Schmitz frères, who produced those cases.
    I'm mainly wondering about the posistion of the stamp: with crown right the bezel can't be set with one hand (or at least I'm not able to do ;-)). This would be very unusual for a functionality-designed diving watch.

Searching the web, there are three cases present with "crown-right-stamp" (excluding mine), so that does not seem to be a single mistake.

Are there any other explanations?

Thank You for Your help.

Regards
    Mathias

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 19, 2017

Well the left and right hand versions of the Ploproff was done post production and I believe only involved changing the date wheel for alignment issues and flipping the dial. They use the same case.

edited typo, changed movement to dial.

Edited Jun 19, 2017
  5. dialstatic Jun 19, 2017

Well, this is complete conjecture, but here goes.

There is such a thing as a 'destro' ploprof, for left-handed people that wear it on their right arm but don't want the crown digging into their wrist. A normal ploprof is easily changed into a left-hand one by putting the dial upside down. However, this requires a different date wheel. Omega supplied these date wheels, so we know that they officially endorsed these right-hand ploprofs. Possibly you could have an AD make you one. But I seem to remember there has been some discussion as to whether or not these versions ever left the factory as such.

Now the fact that your stamp is upside down compared to most, MIGHT suggest this was a way for Omega to tell the cases apart that were meant to have the different date wheel and upside down dial. Again, this is a complete guess, but it would be rather cool, as it would indicate that some did in fact leave the factory that way, and we would have a way to check which cases were originally left handed ones.

[EDIT] Yeah, more or less what @Foo2rama just said...

Edited Jun 19, 2017
    Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 19, 2017

Here is mine before rehab.

upload_2017-6-19_9-38-39.png

7. mini Jun 19, 2017

This one was assembled as a Lefty with a wrong calendar-disc.

IMG_1720.JPG

It is obvious because two half numbers appear in the date window due to the odd number of days.
    So if it will come out, that this is a "Righty" (for whatever reason) I'll let it put in the original state.

Anyhow: this is an academic problem, the ploprof's stamps are usually seen only by watchmakers...

Thank You for Your advices.
    Mathias

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. uwsearch Jun 19, 2017

Right... I own 4 of them and never opened any...

9. mini Jun 19, 2017

Could You do me a favor... ;)

10. uwsearch Jun 19, 2017

They all work well, so why would I ?? I'm going to sell one in case..

11. mini Jun 19, 2017

Just joking.
    I would never open a monocase without reason...

Mathias

12. mini Nov 2, 2017

I owe you the result:
    re-assembled, full serviced (only the non-visible parts... ;-)), worn but with attitude and charming little bubbles on the dial.

Meanwhile I had contact to an professional diver from Austria, who tested the 600 and the 1000 in the early 70es and is still in possesion of each one of this watches and a master-watchmaker from Omega, without gathering further information concerning the case-stamp.
    The secret of the stamp is still unsolved.

Regards
    Mathias

0BBF80D1-CBF6-4187-A127-777E31753339.jpeg

Edited Nov 2, 2017
    RawArcher and Dash1 like this.
  13. Omegal1 May 9, 2020

Hello Mathias,

Did you find out any more information about the case stamp? I would be curious to know!