Forums Latest Members

Please tell me more about my '1969 Speedmaster Omega watch' ?

1. Josh_baker Sep 8, 2013

Hi,
    New to the forums and actually new to watches completely. I recently inherited to what I believe is a 1969 moon watch.
    Upon investigating information about this watch and its production date etc. I found it incredibly hard to actually pinpoint
    the exact details of my watch. I have seen lots of similar looking speed masters from the same era but they often have different backs?

Ive had it valued and its worth quite a lot of money 3K+ however I do not intend to sell it.
    It also originally had a metal wrist strap but I got it changed for a leather strap since I preferred it and the Astronauts used leather aswell I believe.

Image links:
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5

Thanks
    VqK5TsgBL8dE5IuEe9XKTlSsfh3b4ZsvEC9Mp_tMwEA.jpg uHB6qoqItg_fafQvVir-P_q6S34a1x4Gz7905i6wRzw.jpg kktL6p29hdsqm2KKGrsnJAvn3dTIx6Kuuc6JEnGUsEI.jpg E7TFMgZjxthYfaTJSrsJcYJY9KnXSl7XsBhxKxJM9nk.jpg

2. richardew Sep 8, 2013

It looks to be a 145.022-69 pre moon. The inscription on the case back appeared soon after this watch was made, hence it's a pre moon.
    The case looks to be in decent shape with the sort of wear and tear expected on a 40+ year old watch.
    The bezel is not the desirable dot over 90 bezel, but the one that followed it and was used until the 90s. It is, shall we say, worn.
    The dial is not aging gracefully.
    The hands have a nice patina c/w their age.
    The pre moon caseback is in good condition.
    $3000 is a good insurance value. If you were to sell it on ebay, it might get $2500 on a great day, more likely $2000-$2250. It is however priceless as an inherited heirloom.
    These watches need to be serviced. They are mechanical and need to be lubricated, much like changing the oil in a car. Omega says every 5 years. Some people say as long as it's working properly, i.e. keeping accurate time, it doesn't need it. The truth is somewhere in between. Since you have no clue when it was last serviced it is time to do one. It'll cost you in the $600 range from an independent, a bit more from Omega. I would keep it as original as possible.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 8, 2013

Hands are later replacements and are the wrong model also for the watch. And it will need servicing. The 3k value you place on it is somewhat optimistic.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 9, 2013

Welcome to the forum, and for a great speedmaster post. I welcome all speedy posts.

Your watch is in a condition that collectors do not value, so the $3000 value is a respectable insurance value but like all insurance values needs to be cut in half, then a little added on for luck. My opinion is that placed on eBay right now, with no bracelet, anything over $1700 will be a bonus. It would depend on timing, photos and luck. Check eBay completed listings.

Here is why:

The case is not only worn, but shows opening marks on the back, from a failed opening attempt(s). On the plus side it does not look polished.

The dial, (the core of the value differential in many watches), lacks the attraction many show. Rich put it perfectly, "it has not aged gracefully". The plots have decayed unevenly, leaving white marks. Now it is possible the photos fail to show a brown tint that may or may not be there. I don't think it is, but this is hard to capture, but even if it was a little brown, those plots kill it, but it would be a little more valuable.

I think the hands are newer replacements.

The bezel is the less valuable dot next to 90. Had the bezel been a clean dot over 90 you could have added 200-400 to the selling price.

There is a definate up side to this assassination. You have the perfect watch for wearing. These are EXACTLY the kind of watches people buy to enjoy, free of the worry that one little dink or scratch will ruin a "perfect" watch, Or cost them money if they damage it.

Whatever it is worth now, I doubt you can do anything in normal wear that will reduce its value. Try keeping a mint or NOS on your wrist for any length of time.

It will need a service, but I suggest you ask them NOT to polish the case. Clean it, but no polish. They might be able to adjust the colour of those hands to tone them down a bit, but its not jarring. The chrono seconds hand looks out of place, but they will fix that out of routine in the service, and of course replace the crystal.

I love watches like this.

5. marturx Sep 9, 2013

I´m curious about the bracelet you exchanged against the leather strap. You know, it´s not easy for one not into collectible watches, to foresee the interest in, and value in, original bracelets. They are much more scarce than the watch itself. Is it a 1039 bracelet with 516 ends in reasonable shape, you´re looking at several hundreds $ on it alone.

6. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 9, 2013

I thought the squared off chrono hand was right for (some) later pre-moons?

7. richardew Sep 9, 2013

I agree. I think the hands show some patina. It's hard to tell because the lighting is "cool" and it hides any patina.

8. Josh_baker Sep 9, 2013

Thank you for all the replies. I truly appreciate it!
    And I just need to say that it was only valued for insurance at 3.6k .
    But it was also in pounds (not dollars, I am British ).
    Its great that you all know so much about the watch and i'll be looking into servicing it in the next 3 months.
    I'm not completely sure what happens when you service an old watch but would it be possible to ask them to not change
    the 'wear' of the 'Tachymetre'. Now I know its probably worth more with it looking all flash and new but I like the thought that
    my granddad wore this watch and those marks are in fact his legacy whilst wearing the watch (if that makes sense).

9. NiklasARvid Sep 9, 2013

Am I the only one thinking the crown looks a wee bit small?

But it is a perfect daily wearer! best you can get, use it!

10. marturx Sep 9, 2013

Will this be the case with your "new" 2915 too? ::jumpy:: ::bleh::

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 10, 2013

You are lucky to be in UK.
    you can send it to STS in Essex.
    They will know exactly how to sympathetically service this watch.

12. Dash1 Sep 10, 2013

Yes send it to STS (swiss time services) BUT you still need to ask them not to polish the case or replace the bezel, dial or hands. The service price includes new crown, pushers, seals, crystal (these parts are okay to replace). They'll give you a quote before starting work, it'll be a few hundred quid, but it is honestly worth it - it should work well for many years after that.

Actually the astronauts wore these watches on a black velcro strap when in space and often on an American made 'JB Champion' brick pattern metal bracelet while here on earth. Keep your original bracelet carefully as they can be worth quite a bit.

Nice watch.