Forums Latest Members

Please tell me I'm not about to make things a whole lot worse..

1. rawhead Nov 30, 2014

Hi folks,

I'm Jon from Norfolk in the UK.
    I've had the watch below around 15 years. (very nice it is too)
    I've scratched it (several years ago now but the pain is still fresh)

[​IMG]

I've just purchased some Diamond polishing lapping paste:

[​IMG]

5 , 3.5 , 1 and 0.5

Starting with the 5 I'm going to rub it into the area that's scratched with my finger.
    Then go to 3.5, then 1 and finally 0.5.

Is this sensible?

Any hints or tips very much appreciated?

Thank you.

2. ulackfocus Nov 30, 2014

Take it to a watchmaker...... unless you want your next post to be a lesson in how to ruin your bezel with one slip.

andyg and kbowling11 like this.
  3. rawhead Nov 30, 2014

Good point well made. :)

I was going to mask the watch with tape so only the scratches were on show...
    Still too risky?

4. Davidt Nov 30, 2014

For the time it will take and the risk, I'd go to a professional. It would be different if it was hesalite that can be polished with polywatch.

Great result yesterday by the way! MoT!

rawhead likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 30, 2014

Is the scratch in the actual sapphire, or just in the AR coating? To me it almost looks like just in the AR coating, and if so, the 0.5 micron is all you need.

If the scratch is actually in the sapphire, then you and the next 3 generations of your family might be able to complete removing it by rubbing on the crystal with your finger. If you and your heirs don't mind doing this for the next several decades that's fine, but if you want to speed the process up, you will need some power tools.

This is the one, single, solitary application I have for the dreaded Dremel tool.** Use the small hard felt buff, spread some paste on the buff and a bit on the crystal, and buff away. As with any polishing process, be sure to remove all the scratches made by the previous abrasive before moving on or you will be starting over again. Make sure you use a separate buff for each grade of abrasive, and also clean the surface well between grades. Be prepared for this to take a couple of days to complete, and also be prepared to have some slight distortion in the crystal where the material was removed.

Those saying to take it to a professional are out to lunch IMO. Unless you have buckets of money to pay a professional to spend a couple of days polishing your crystal, this is most certainly a DIY job. If you are not comfortable doing a DIY job, take it to a professional yes, but not for polishing - to have the crystal replaced with a new one. Trust me the cost of a new crystal and the labour to install it is going to be multiple less than the labour someone like me will charge you to polish out those scratches. The only time I actually polish sapphire crystal is where I am unable to source a new replacement crystal.

** - The only reason I suggest using a Dremel instead of a proper polishing machine is that to charge a large diameter buffing wheel with diamond paste would cost a fortune, so a very small wheel on a hand held device is the only realistic option.

Cheers, Al

TNTwatch, Georgieboy58, ICONO and 2 others like this.
  6. ulackfocus Nov 30, 2014

Guess I should have made myself clear by stating that. Don't want to be 'out to lunch' all day.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Some might say you're out to............................................................................................all day
    Not me mind you. :rolleyes:

8. rawhead Nov 30, 2014

Thanks Archer :)
    I do own a Dremel and its hardly been out of its box. I'm actually going to get to use it ! :cool:
    I'll try the 0.5 first and see how I get on.

Fingers crossed its just the AR coating.

#MOT

Davidt likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 30, 2014

Just protect or remove the bezel...I second Archer because is you mess it up you can always THEN got o have it exchanged. But it would be sad to have to add the bezel to the cost.

10. rawhead Nov 30, 2014

Got it. The bezel will be protected...

Thanks for all the replies.

11. iflyem1 Dec 5, 2014

Lets see the results when your done!

12. serdal22 Dec 5, 2014

Sorry to hear about this. Please keep us posted.

And yes, I know the pain, believe me.

Capt. Serdal

13. rawhead Dec 6, 2014

Will do.
    I'l find some time over Christmas...