Forums Latest Members
  1. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

On impulse, I made a quick BIN purchase on eBay of what appears to be a very nice original gold capped Constellation pie pan. There were no internal/movement shots available, nor do I know the operational condition of the movement, but felt that the purchase was worth a gamble. I expect to receive the watch next week and will then be able to verify it more closely. Here are several pix that were with the original posting. Any comments and/or further suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Poul
    Connie 1.JPG Connie 2.JPG Connie 3.JPG Connie 4.JPG Connie 5.JPG Connie 6.JPG Connie 7.JPG Connie 8.JPG

2. afinewatch Aug 23, 2013

what amount did you gamble on this one ?

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

The dial is original with cracking aging indicates heat and humid exposure, the hands looks correct already missing its tritium, the crystal need replacement and you need crown and stem at least.
    My biggest problem is the case, look corroded outside, might worse inside. When the case is corroded and no movement shot, I assume something wrong with movement. So be prepared for major overhaul.

4. John R Smith Aug 23, 2013

It's had a hard life, this one. Be prepared to have to spend some time and cash on it.

5. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

Regarding the movement, I am unfortunately prepared for the worst, but hopeful of the best. Based on the images, is it your feeling then that the case and dial are original? I am hoping that the deposits on the exterior of the case are not corrosion, but merely dirt from wear.

6. Hijak Aug 23, 2013

Hope you didn't spend much on this! Its a good idea to check here before purchase and utilize the expertise available!::deadhorse::

7. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

Ideally checking with the experts is always best. Based on a low price and BIN offering, I felt that any delay would result in a lost opportunity.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

Looking at the photo no 5 to the right of the lugs (10 o'clock position) , I am fairly sure it is corroded because the black thing is deeper than surface of the case. If it is only dirt it will be thicker than the case. (Pardon my english I can not find the right words to describe the condition).
    Just hope it only stays there and not going inside the case. Another clue that this watch has been exposed to humid and heat is the cracking of the dial paint.
    I've bought a 80's Speedy Pro moonwatch before that has similar case surface corrosion speck. What I see inside is very awful. Quickly I return it to the shop where I bought it and bite 10% restocking fee. I thought I make cheap score and could make some profit flipping it. Not happening.

Hopefully you pay very cheap on this one or have return option.

Hijak likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

Like Privateday, I am very fearful of what is under that bezel. This puppy needs a complete break down of the case and movement. Do you know what country it came from?

10. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

The seller is from California (sometimes considered a separate country) so corrosion is a distinct possibility. I fully realize that I have some work ahead of me.
    From your history, Steve, I respect your opinion greatly. Thanks for your input. Do you feel that the case and dial are in fact original? My guess is that this is very early 60s vintage, with a cal 551. This is my first pie pan and at this point I am all about gathering knowledge...

11. John R Smith Aug 23, 2013

Hang10

Your title to this thread was "Please tell me if I have done well". We still can't answer that question because you have not told us the one vital piece of information we need - how much you paid for it :) Like, if you paid $5, yes you did brilliantly . . . (just my little joke ;) )

12. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

Sorry about the wording. My intent was to see if I had in fact gotten an original pie pan constellation. The money invested was secondary.
    Since several people have asked, the price was $350.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

For $350 its not too bad

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

No brainer at $350 - you did well. I would say even $500 isn't a bad price to pay for the watch as is.

Dablitzer likes this.
  15. Dablitzer Aug 23, 2013

For that price I think the gamble was worth it..The case looks like it's more dirt than corrosion. Still a chance, but I think less of, knowing now what you paid.. This puppy will need some TLC ;)

16. hang10 Aug 23, 2013

Understood, thanks. Any other recommendations and info would be greatly appreciated.

17. Dablitzer Aug 23, 2013

Source the correct decagonal crown, and buff up that crystal to start... Wouldn't overdo the polishing on this one as it's already a bit worn, just a very light spruce.. Get some pictures of it on, when it arrives.. I always like a before and after thread. :thumbsup:

18. John R Smith Aug 23, 2013

19. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

$350 is a definite win. Hell, you have a great dial & hands at the very least.

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

As others stated, for 350, you very well. The watch looks all original. In the clean up of this one though, the bezel and crystal need to come off. Dirt carries corrosive materials. I can guarantee there are corrosive materials in every seam and the case needs a good cleaning. This is not polishing, cleaning. This watch may never have been serviced and there is a chance that the movement is still sealed from damage. Post some pictures when it is opened.

citizenrich likes this.