Forums Latest Members

Please Help to report this fake submariner

1. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

Good afternoon OF,

Navigating through eBay, I encountered this fake sub for sale. Please, report it so that everyone could be safe.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-ROLEX-S...998405?hash=item592f7fde05:g:uHcAAOSw6VldKpZkPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

User name: franleg91 (located in France)

Pictures for posterity:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] .

Thank you for taking the time to read and/or report.

Best,
    Javi.

2. time flies Jul 14, 2019

Is it? Please. Do tell.

Thank you. Have
    kfw

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 14, 2019

Was it because the watch is not on the cushion correctly.

Edited Jul 14, 2019
  4. WatchCor Jul 14, 2019

I would be greatly thankful if OP would share the obvious tell-tales of this. The font? The rehaut? Something in the dial or the case? I am genuinely interested to learn.

Edited Jul 14, 2019
  5. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

Am I missing something here? Is it not fake?

6. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

In my opinion the minute hand looks way too thick. Also, the font on Oyster Perpetual Date looks crooked, specially on "DATE".

I may be wrong, and if I were, my apologies.

7. WatchCor Jul 14, 2019

Middle one is the eBay listing. The left and right are (supposed) genuine ones. I can't pinpoint any major differences between those photos.

1563115433-picsay.jpg

What I've read is that the replicas are getting so good that you cannot distinguish them from mere normal photos. You need good macro shots and several shots of the movement.

Either way I am not commentin for or against the eBay listings authenticity, just that I cant from these photos discern a difference.

P.s. not my listing either:cool:

8. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

As I said, I could be wrong, but here are the differences I can see between the 3:

- The Rolex crown that is laser printed on the crystal at 6 (see pictures) is only visible on one of them. This isn't supposed to be visible to the naked eye, let alone a bad-taken wristshot.
    - The font on Oyster perpetual date seems to be crooked and of less quality in some way. Maybe thicker.
    - The inner engraving on the bezel is not equal in all of the 3 examples. See how the R isn't positioned on the same place in the allegedly fake.

If I were to be the buyer, I'll definately pass on it. There are several irregularities that may lead to think it's fake, or at least, a franken watch.
    That being said, that's my opinion on the matter and all the suggestion and educational point-outs are well received.

Best,
    Javi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WatchCor likes this.
  9. JanV Jul 14, 2019

The wrong font on all printing, subtle differences like the letter R on SUBMARINER, engraving on bezel, edges of bezel, thickness and length of seconds hand, crown, etc.... There are many telltale signs, even for an Omega guy. This is why i’m not really into Rolexes, fu..ed up by fakes and huge over supply of watches.

Edited Jul 14, 2019
  10. WatchCor Jul 14, 2019

Thanks @JanV and OP. I learned something today. :thumbsup:

rincondeltiempo likes this.
  11. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

The ad has now been removed by eBay.
    Thank you to all that cooperated.
    Any discrepancies are welcomed, too.

Good job, OF.

[​IMG]

WatchCor likes this.
  12. redpcar Jul 14, 2019

This falls into the "buy the seller" category. Zero feedback + sketchy pics = NO BID

connieseamaster and WatchCor like this.
  13. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

Wise words.

14. vintagemillenial Jul 21, 2019

if you do end up bidding on something like this eBay is good if you can provide evidence it is indeed fake.