Forums Latest Members
  1. pedrodamc Mar 8, 2018

This watch once belonged to my late great grand father. I think it is from the 40’s or 50’s. The dial was in terrible shape, so I had it restored. I’ve been doing some research, but The only model I could find similar to this was the OT 2515. But it is not exactly like it. I’m afraid the watchmaker did a poor job. Any opinions? Have you seen this model before?

DA622FA5-5A15-452D-B2FD-B9A324286DF5.jpeg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 8, 2018

Could be a ref 2494, which would have a caliber 342 movement.

Omega offered many different dials so finding an exact match could be hard.

3. michael22 Mar 9, 2018

No redial is ever going to be perfect. Once you decide the dial is too horrible to look at, your choice is to get a redial, or put it in a box.

Your redial looks good, vastly more professional than many, except for the "SWISS MADE": it should be concentric with the dial, rather than straight; it probably should be "SWISS."

Edited Mar 9, 2018
  4. momosono Mar 9, 2018

Why do you think the watchmaker did a poor job? He did go a bit heavy on the polishing maybe, but I think the dial looks fine (except - as @michael22 already said - for the Swiss/Swiss Made)
    But imo the crown doesn't fit this watch. Its for a more modern automatic one and I think its much too thick for your watch.
    On the older Omegas I've seen the crowns usually are quite thin or of the dome kind, and until the early/mid fifties very very often came without the Omega sign.
    Please let us know what movement is inside. It might help identifying the model.

michael22 likes this.
  5. michael22 Mar 9, 2018

I just noticed the hands changed, from leaf shaped to dauphine. Anyway, the dial is a good match to the watch. If Omega never did a dial like this for this reference, that will be obvious to the hardcore collectors. & it looks good.
    It is weird to change to the wrong Omega crown, but lose the original hands.