Forums Latest Members
  1. Jamie_Kerr Dec 9, 2016

Just a couple new photos. I also wanted to say I slo-mo-ed the movement and counted 6 movements per second.

IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0387.JPG
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 26, 2016

Sorry I'm late to the party on this one. So, it's is a constellation 18K made by dennison in the U.K. (The cases were made in the UK because of the import taxes on gold). I believe you model is dennison 886 constellation, the bracelet is permanently attached so you would need to have a gold smith remove it and drill the lugs for a strap (much more wearable on strap than bct)

It is a UK made Dennison case with a UK made Shackmans bracelet, sorry to disagree with some members but this bracelet is completely legitimate omega as is the case, it is simply a U.K. Made version and not a Swiss one

Dennison didn't make bracelet so they had Shackmans make them, you might find your watch is London hall marked as a result not Birmingham as most dennisons were. For the bracelet geeks amongst you Shackmans made the overwhelming percentage of the Milanese bracelet for omega, Rolex, longines etc throughout the 1960's and 1970's. When they went bust STS in the UK bought all the tooling equipment and continue to make new bracelets using the original equipment to this day.

Value wise, the head is reasonably valuable (although I cannot tell the exact condition), the bracelet is worth scrap I guess as it's not the most desirable design.

OP you can PM me if you want or need more details

Best wishes Tom

Edited Dec 26, 2016
    Edward53, Kathmandu! and TNTwatch like this.
  3. Edward53 Dec 27, 2016

I said the bracelet is not original Omega early on. In the light of the Shackman identification and the Omega clasp, I have no problem agreeing that I was mistaken! Personally I really like the bracelet design and wouldn't change it if it were my watch, but of course these things are subjective. Or I might alternate it with a heavy brown leather strap, in which case I'd be enough of a wuss / realist to have a watchmaker change it each time to avoid damaging the lugs. EDITED TO ADD: I skimmed over the last post and missed the bit about the bracelet being permanently attached, which of course changes things somewhat!

It's a fantastic thing to inherit and one to keep in the family.

4. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 27, 2016

I think that's the beauty of our community, you learn something new every day. I also personally like the bracelet but unfortunately this design didn't wear well and as such began to sag and once sagged was irreparable. You wil note the one on the ops watch looks good but also note the stretching when viewed from the back

A good gold smith could convert to enable the besdwlet to be removed and then attached with spring bars but it wouldn't be cheap.

I hope the OP does decide to keep it, it's quite a special watch to have been left and has clearly been their relatives pride and joy at some point!

5. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 27, 2016

As an aside and interestingly at the time omega bracelets where often unbranded of sold without omega markings. With the exception of watches like the OP's where the bracelet was integral, quite often they were also a different gold content. I've seen two original dennison constellations in 18K where the bracelet has been original, the receipts matching but the head 18K and the BCT 9K

This extract from a 1963 English catologue shows some examples of this

IMG_3903.PNG

Peemacgee likes this.