Forums Latest Members
  1. marzzz Jun 27, 2015

This watch was given to my wife by her grandmother for her HS graduation in the late 70's; it doesn't work but we are thinking of getting it repaired- though my wife is also thinking of having it converted to a pendant (yeah, I know....). Below are some pics, I have not seen anything like this on the 'net. Also, the watch is small, the entire thing is barely ½" square, and the back is blank. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

19930d0f-1529-4e83-875f-bebe5db1d339_zpsmbvkauq6.JPG image.jpg1_zpspdfgkbtq.JPG image.jpg2_zpsatq5jesf.JPG image.jpg3_zpshioh5ewh.JPG
    Edited Jun 27, 2015
  2. marzzz Jun 29, 2015

Anyone?

3. ConElPueblo Jun 29, 2015

Probably a late sixties women's watch, don't think came in model series such as "Seamaster", but instead as a buch of, cosmetically, different manual wind watches for the fairer sex. Not worth a whole lot, these tend to get sold for gold value only.

4. Canuck Jun 29, 2015

Omega featured a series of ladie's watches during the 1960s that bear a resemblance to yours, This series all featured a beautifully faceted synthetic white sapphire crystal, (as does yours). You don't say if the case on yours is karat gold, but if the back isn't marked 14-karat (or 18), it may not belong to this series. As I recall, all watches in the series were karat gold. The series was called Sapphette. Although I don't recall the numerous designs as having individual names. My wife has two of the Sappette series. Both in 14-karat white gold, one with a round crystal, and the other a marquise shape. She has several other Omegas of the era, but they lack the faceted sapphire crystal.

5. marzzz Jul 2, 2015

@Canuck- Thanks, this helps immensely! The watch does have some heft to it, so I am going to guess it is 14K yellow gold. Doing a web search for "Sapphette" now gives me some other examples:

[​IMG]

It looks like it is worth at the very least $500; since my wife's watch has pretty much sat in a box for two-three decades and otherwise was not abused, I will take it to a repair shop and hope it just needs some cleaning and lube to get it going again. She loved "Mad Men," so a 1960's "cocktail watch" will definitely sit well with her.

Edited Jul 2, 2015
  6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jul 2, 2015

As much as I love seeing my wife wear her bigger mens watches I sometimes wish these classic small ones were to come into fashion again.
    Here in Sweden similar watches in yellow, rose or white gold with faceted crystals, go dirt cheap at auctions all the time and in the meanwhile young women buy big plastic Triwa: s and such. A pity.

Glad to hear your wife has taken fancy of her heirloom watch and that it is getting a proper service. I hope she will be a trendsetter.

7. Canuck Jul 2, 2015

As to values of ladie's watches. As styggpyggeno1 has mentioned, most of the potential collectors of high quality, karat gold watches, satisfy themselves with "costume" watches, many made of plastic. Choosing between a c_ _ p watch that matches the costume of the day that sells for $29.99, and a karat gold classic that they could have for $100.00 (scrap value), you know which way most of them would go. I bought one ladie's 14 karat white gold Omega Sapphette from a dealer who had offered the watch for sale for years! No takers, yet the watch is NOS. when I showed interest in it, he said he had bought it as scrap, and I could have it for $138.00! I bought it! Generally, it's not people who have stuff for sale that determine values. It's potential buyers that make the decision. My wife has three karat gold watches, none of which she bought for herself. I bought all of them at scrap value. A sad commentary of what such watches are "worth"!