Forums Latest Members

Please Help, Is this real? How can you tell? What should I pay for it? Omega Constellation

1. infinity24 Mar 25, 2017

Pawn shop by my house has this Omega Constellation up for sale. Owner says it was his watch and he is just upgrading. Claims to have owned it for years. I'm finding a ton of pictures that match his but I wanted some experts to weigh in before I buy. Seems to be older but I don't know. (Maybe 1980s, I have a 40s & 60s and this isn't even close to those vintage ones.) He'll go down to $450 on the price which seems good compared to eBay. I doubt he's going to allow me to crack open the case for pictures. I also noticed that some of the pictures had a serial # on the back of the case under the observatory. This one does not. I have heard many people say the Omega marks are inside. Thanks for the help.

Omega Face.JPG Omega Side.JPG Omega Clasp.JPG Omega hinge.JPG Omega Back.JPG
  2. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

Sorry to be a killjoy, but it's usually seen polite to introduce yourself to the forums rather than just asking for information from people who give up their times for free to help us amateur watch collectors. Even just a quick introduction first would be nice?

3. infinity24 Mar 25, 2017

Happy to introduce myself. My name is Aaron, I'm 44 years old, married with 3 teenage kids. I work as an attorney. My family has been involved with jewelry for years but none are watch experts. We've got some high end watches but usually through some connection at a jewelry store where the watch company is giving the employees an option to buy a watch at about 30-40% of retail. I live in SLC, Utah and found this watch at a pawn shop yesterday. I'd like to buy it and get it cleaned up but I don't want to buy a fake. I understand that Omega's are frequently counterfeited and I don't want to wear a fake watch. I'd rather keep searching. I researched this watch for an hour last night and I thought it looked real but again I could easily be missing something. Thanks for your help.

BlackTalon, adi4 and blacktiger like this.
  4. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

That's better! ;) Manners and friendliness is what from my opinion is what keeps this forum so well kept and informative.

As far as the information side goes, I'm probably not in a position to tell you whether to buy it or not, personally, I haven't seen that specific model before but I am of course still learning! There are plenty of fantastic members in the forum who will be able to help you.

Last but not least...Welcome to the forum! Hope you can get involved in some more posts and forums! :)

5. Vitezi Mar 25, 2017

I highly recommend reading Desmond's ( @mondodec ) site devoted to Omega's flagship model, at this link:
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

I seem to recall that a version of your watch came with in a case that featured functional clips (claws?) on the case edges. Later, these clips became decorative only. I believe the 'functional clip' case is rarer (and perhaps more interesting to a watch nerd :) like me) although that feature does not necessarily equate to value. There is a thread on this forum somewhere that describes this in a little more detail. If I can find that thread, I'll post a link here.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2017

Looks good to me, well worn but will clean up a treat.

7. infinity24 Mar 25, 2017

Thank you

8. infinity24 Mar 25, 2017

Is it worth the $500 total when it includes tax? Am I better off saving for a different watch and pass this one up?
    Thanks for the input.

9. ac106 Mar 25, 2017

I mean you've been here a week. Should you really be admonishing new posters. This whole recent Miss Manners requirement for OF is getting a bit tiresome.

Kmart and Interstellar like this.
  10. Vitezi Mar 25, 2017

11. WatchWarlock Mar 25, 2017

It looks authentic to me, albeit pretty scuffed up. The price is fairly consistent with what I've been seeing similar Connies for go over the past year or so. Ultimately, it depends if it is the one you want. Don't think it is a steal, but if you love it, go for it.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2017

Yup, try buying a new one.

It caught your eye already so $500 you won't loose any money by buying it and wearing it.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 25, 2017

Looks fine to me. From the mid 1990s and possibly a quartz (1532) movement as it doesn't have automatic script on the dial.

14. infinity24 Mar 25, 2017

Thank you all for the advice and other sites to look at. Deal I ended up with is $400 and I can take it to a watch dealer on Monday for authentication, polishing, checking under the cover and so on. If the watch dealer doesn't believe it's real I get to return the watch. Doesn't seem like I'll be out anything and will get a watch for most occasions.

15. WatchWarlock Mar 25, 2017

Thats a fair price, and it should polish up nicely. Congrats! And hope everything works out.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 26, 2017

Looks like a Ref. 13123000. As noted a Cal. 1532 quartz movement.