Forums Latest Members
  1. padster89 Sep 19, 2013

Hi there!

I am a soon to be first time Omega buyer, and am really interested in getting my hands on a good quality vintage Seamaster. I found the following item on eBay which looked like a quality watch from a trusted seller. I (possibly foolishly) put a bid in straight away as the price was low, but am still the highest bidder. After doing so I began to have doubts over the watches authenticity and whether it is really as good as the seller makes out.

Could someone with a more experienced eye than me please take a look and see whether this is a real Seamasteror not?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSEUM-QU...285794568?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cd5d8d308Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The things I noticed that made me wonder whether it is real or not is that the "12" on the dial looks slightly wonky when compared to the minute markers. Could this possibly be a repaint? The other thing is that the back of the watch does not look like any other Seamaster I have seen and doesn't appear to have any markings on it.

I have been browsing the forum looking for answers but couldn't find anything!

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out with this as the auction ends in 15 hours and I don't want to hand any money over for something that isn't authentic.

Thanks for reading!

2. ulackfocus Sep 19, 2013

That "absolutely fantastic black dial" has been repainted. We discussed this watch somewhere recently I think.

3. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 19, 2013

See this thread

Never put an early high bid on an eBay auction (particularly a private listing with hidden bidder's identities), as it's just a licence for the seller and friends to bid you up.

4. padster89 Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for getting back to me!

I looked at the other thread and am now desperately hoping that someone outbids me. Is there any way of getting out of these kind of bids since he has said it is museum quality when it isn't?

I am feeling pretty stupid now! I put £350 as my maximum bid.

5. padster89 Sep 19, 2013

I just contacted the seller and managed to retract my bid. Thanks for your help guys!

6. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 24, 2013

If you want to sell a watch and you don't know it's value, the best why to find out and achieve a sale all in one go, is to stick it on eBay with some decent photos and a full description, and let the auction run it's course.

But if you want to know its value out of idle curiosity or because you want to know if it's worth restoring and wearing, then this is definitely the place to ask.

Resolute likes this.