Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

Wow, you really are a jerk.

Tom

2. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

Shabbaz, ConElPueblo and DaveK like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 17, 2019

So, what I got out of this is that we all agree that more context in our replies could help a member decide how to use our thoughts, opinions and guidance. And all opinions add to the conversation

Mouse_at_Large and VetPsychWars like this.
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 17, 2019

All I know is that I really like that beads of rice bracelet. Have been searching for an Omega beads that won’t set me back $500 for a Seamaster of the same era

JwRosenthal and DaveK like this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 17, 2019

I also got this from the conversation ;)

C47D8FB0-AEA2-411E-BE37-7AA67A8AABB1.jpeg

Shabbaz, Mac5 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

Yes, indeed. When I had my father's Croton serviced/restored, the case was polished without damage but the dial was left alone because he was adamant that it not be touched at any time he had it serviced.

Nothing wrong with a proper (mind you I said proper) case refinish, and nothing wrong with respecting honest wear. There is room for everyone in this house.

Tom

mozartman and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

Really? I thought they were pretty common in the classified’s here for around $250.
    No Mercy puts them up pretty regularly.

The Father likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Aug 17, 2019

The reason I'd rarely recommend someone "new to watches" to polish out scratches etc. is because that person probably does not know what he or she prefers. If it gets serviced without polishing, it might end up growing on the owner and he/she'll treasure those signs of an instrument put to use by someone dear to them. Maybe it'll end up annoying the heck out of him/her, nobody knows. If it gets polished immediately, that person will never get to form an opinion.

Like completely renovating a house before you've moved in and gotten to know what suits your needs and what doesn't.

Davidt, Archer, odin.grey and 6 others like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

When I bought my house, it had an older farmhouse style kitchen that we were gonna renovate when we had the cash. It was in great shape but out of style (granite, stainless and cherry cabinets were in vogue then). Flash forward 16 years and the farmhouse look is back in- my kitchen is a little shabbier but still in great shape and everyone loves how “old timey” it looks. Agree whole heartedly, live with it for a bit, then if you want to spruce it up, go for it.

10. wagudc Aug 17, 2019

You can always polish a watch, but you can't unpolish it.

Davidt, BlackTalon and Archer like this.
  11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

Such a lovely explanation. It should be shared.

Tom

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2019

After reading this thread, I'm confused; are we now recommending sending vintage watches to Omega for service?

Edited Aug 17, 2019
    Edward53 and DaveK like this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

Depends on your goal. Omega certainly has the replacement parts and they can reproduce some of the more unusual finishes. My local watchmaker, the Rolex guy, says they sent a vintage Constellation with instructions on what not to do, and their customer was pretty happy. He says the price for service was competitive too but he is a Rolex watchmaker after all.

Tom

14. TNTwatch Aug 17, 2019

Beside some uneven surfaces and some soft edges, it's all too shiny for a vintage watch.

IMO, case polishing and refinishing is like an art, not easy to do or appreciate. Polishing any gold case will more than likely destroy it. A good condition steel case can take some polishing if done tastefully like polishing a car. Bad condition, similar to dials, should be considered thoroughly before having it refinished, and should be done by someone with good skills like Adam Lewis: https://omegaforums.net/threads/polishing-a-speedmaster-case-insert-horrified-expression-here.30014/.

Edited Aug 17, 2019
  15. matchanw Aug 17, 2019

Thanks all. Did not mean for my question to erupt in an e-brawl :)

I'm not a vintage watch guy but this watch is very special because it was worn by my father in law almost daily for over 40 years and we have had conversations about this watch when he was alive. I subsequently bought a new Seamaster chrono, Breitling, Sub etc. I want to preserve this watch and wear it for special occasions and eventually pass it to my son

At this point, the suggestions that resonate with me is to service the watch , clean and perhaps change the crystal. Although tempting to polish, I will probably not do it as I want the watch to look it's age - it has aged like fine wine and is a relic to my father in law's lifetime.

Thanks folks.. Enjoying both my seamasters now.. Love Omega, Love "collecting" watches, Grateful for every piece I have

wagudc, Archer, Edward53 and 5 others like this.
  16. matchanw Aug 17, 2019

One small trivia ...

My Father in law, being a commercial airline pilot, spent 5/7 days atleast every week flying to Singapore , Malaysia, UAE and many routes within India.

When he was speaking with an ATC, in a different county, and they referred to time ,many times they referred to time in GMT. The difference between Indian Standard time (IST) and GMT is exactly 6 hours. My FIL in these situations (where GMT was often referenced) would just wear the watch upside down (12 oclock being down, 6 being up) and voila - he had GMT! This Omega is the watch he demonstrated the concept on :)

17. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

Fantastic stories. If you plan to hang out a while and join in on the conversation- which is very much encouraged, create an avatar for yourself and of course - we need to see pics of your watches ::popcorn::

DaveK likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

And the livey dialogue is part of the experience here. Lots of opinions, lots of insight, lots of intellect and humor- and very little pretense.

DaveK and ConElPueblo like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Aug 17, 2019

What is meant by the above is that the thread starter has little say as to how the thread evolves. Next time the brawl will be about tobacco policies, penguins or which is the best mayonaise (home made, naturally).

Welcome @matchanw :)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 18, 2019

Oh man, you had to bring up the mayonnaise thing again :mad:

ConElPueblo and JwRosenthal like this.