Forums Latest Members

Please help: Does the dial match the watch on this Seamaster Deville

1. SBBN Nov 23, 2016

Hi everyone,

Picked up this very nice Seamaster Deville from a local guy that buys and sells watches for fun. I had it past a watchmaker who says its running fine and everything is genuine. Only thing I cant make out, is if the dial matches the rest of the pieces or if it has been changed at some point?

Dial says Deville which should mean its made around 1963. Movement is a 552 with serial no 1782xxxxx, which indicates its made around 1960... Case back says the model is 14745.::confused2::

Dealer seems very legit. Paid a fraction of the price as a deposit and got 14 days to figure out if I like it or not and wether or not is genuine or a franken...

Hope someone can help out.

(BTW looks SO much nicer in real life than on pictures...):)

IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3590.JPG IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3612.JPG IMG_3611.JPG

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

The watch is genuine , however the hands are incorrect for the the watch and the dial was either refinished or replaced with a service dial

SBBN likes this.
  3. François Pépin Nov 23, 2016

I am not an expert concerning Devilles, but in principal a caliber could perfectly have been produced a couple of years (and even more) before been cased. So I do not think there is a real issue here.

SBBN likes this.
  4. SBBN Nov 23, 2016

That was my initial thought as well and rather like the watch but would, however prefer one that is as original as possible. But I see Cicindelas point about the hands... Have you come across these and are they even Omega?

5. François Pépin Nov 23, 2016

Again, I am no expert concerning this kind of watch. But the hands look actually a but (Edit: "bit". French will understood that this typo could also be a lapsus...) odd with that dial. I have seen this sort of hands on watches with the 600 series calibers, and with dials with inserts matching the color of one of the hand´s lume. Which is not the case here.

Concerning the dial, the minute track abd the "Swiss made" look good to me. But the script of Seamaster may be a little thick - could be the picture. Not sure what to conclude at the moment! Could be original but I do not know enough this reference to be sure.

Edited Nov 23, 2016
    SBBN likes this.
  6. SBBN Nov 23, 2016

I agree more and more. They do look odd - not bad, but definitely not from the 60ies. I actually think they might be from a Seamaster Deville quartz, and its then likely that its a franken...:(. The A in Seamaster is a bit think in real life too but seems like somebody tried to freshen it up at some point.

Lucky I did not get so exited I paid the full price, but just a smaller deposit...

Thanks for helping out!!

IMG_0507.JPG