Forums Latest Members
  1. aerom Oct 4, 2017

Dear all,

as I am new to this forum and to Omega Vintage watches in general, I hope for your support in buying my first one. Some days ago, I discovered the Omega Genève from the 1970's, which I really like. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to spot if the watch is authentic or fake. It seems to me that the watches of this model that are for sale are either totally scratched and in a terrible condition or looking too good to be true.

The following watch is the exact model that I would like to purchase. Unfortunately, the watch does not come with a box and a certificate of authenticity. Furthermore, the watch looks like it was produced yesterday, and not 40-something years ago. Do you think it is a fake?

[​IMG]

I would really value your help and support!

Cheers
    Aerom

More pictures of the watch can be found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Geneve-Swiss-Made-Stainless-Steel-Mens-Automatic-Vintage-Watch-SE186/263239207393?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41375&meid=9f03d229a78042b49c68853a2254ccc7&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=263237249841&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 4, 2017

It's not fake. According to the advert description, it's been cleaned and restored. That includes the dial. To some that will put it beyond the pale. Others will happily buy and wear it.

You must decide which camp you belong to.

3. aerom Oct 4, 2017

Hi Mouse_at_Large,

first things first - thanks for your quick answer! Much appreciated.

You're right, I read that as well. Still, it feels a little bit weird to me that this watch looks like it just came out of the production line. I didn't find a single scratch on the glass, wristband, crown, body, case, etc.

Is it even possible to restore a watch that perfectly? And would you trust an eBay seller with good reviews that if he says it is restored, it really is restored and not a fake?

I get that restored watches might be nothing for a collector who wants it a 100% original, but for someone who searches for a beautiful vintage watch to wear, in the end it is about the movement, right?

4. lillatroll Oct 4, 2017

Welcome,
    First thing you need to decide is if you want a shiny watch or a vintage watch that is in original condition. It is possible to get both but it takes a bit of patience and a lot of looking. Most collectors would not touch a polished watch because it has little value. It might not bother you but I think most people who get into watches eventually go for original unpolished watches and look upon their shiny watch purchase as noob tax. Here are three examples of shiny watches that are old and original. They were not especially expensive but were picked up over a three year period, so patience is the key.
    This one is from the early 70s and I paid 400 pounds for it late 2016. There was quite a bit of back and for with the owner but it was a fair price.
    210697-7734c9a488715d40e8133c5e3353b9f3.jpg
    This one is from the late 70s. I bought this from a forum member. It was a tad under 800 pounds
    images-2.jpg
    This one is from 1976, a lot more than the others but still not in speedy territory. 214903-bf43060c06202fca3a0bc94d313a6749.jpg

The watch you show has been described with a degree of honesty so that is a plus for the seller but I bet it is quite expensive for what it is and you probably won t recouperate your money if you ever sell it. I would keep looking and pass on this one.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 4, 2017

The movement is part of the whole package. I'm not expert enough to look at a movement picture and make any determination as to it's condition beyond whether it looks dirty/worn or not. Others here are much better at that sort of thing. Some are pretty much experts at it.

What I will say, and I readily admit that I'm very much in the minority here is that I have no prejudice against well restored/refurbished watches. I don't think all restorers are evil trolls who exist solely to fool buyers and annoy collectors. However, I have no tolerance for sellers who knowingly try to palm off non-original or restored watches as original and unrestored. From a personal perspective I have no love for most heavily patinated watches and do not particularly value originality over my personal aesthetics. However, I would stress that this is my opinion only.

As to cost and future value, the collector market will place a premium on both originality and condition and if you decide to sell in future, that market may not be interested in a restored watch. However, the vintage collector market is a subset of the overall watch buying market, and there are, I would suggest, many more potential buyers who would prefer to buy a watch in a condition such as the one shown rather than a tired/scratched/patinated version.

At the end of the day, and after digesting advice, the decision will be yours. I would ask myself the question - if I buy this watch, will I be happy to see it on my wrist?

Whatever you decide, I hope you end up with a timepiece that gives you sterling service and enjoyment.