Forums Latest Members
  1. Cmore Nov 29, 2012

Hi Guys

well after buying our illustrious leader's NOS sm300 i have become a bloody omega head in a big way! I just bough a speedy moon 2 years old and a NOS SHOM 200m.

So thinking about NOS all gen watches and wanting a PO 45 i decided to build one.
    Sourced the parts (dial, hands and case-set from cousins and a 2500c movement for the bay and went a building. Now i seem to be having a couple of issues with my new watch.

The dial spacer it came with seems to be a tad small in the diameter stakes and the movement seems to be a bit wrong in the case. The dial spacer I sssume has to be able to fit around the top edge of the movement?

This one does not, if i plonk it under the dial the dial is too far way from the movement to be able to be fixed to the movement as the dial feet dont reach the other side of the movement to be secured.
    Cant not have a spacer as the DW will bind.

If I cut the dial spacer and fit that round the movement dial sits fine but then the movement seems to be a tad wrong when clamped down, I did not buy the Omega clamps but used some spares from other watches i have kicking about. By wrong I mean if I then use the inner movement to movement ring locations of which there are two the dial seems to be clamped to tight again to the movement and binds.

So would anyone have the correct dial spacer size info and or even better an exploded view of the 45 PO?

Cheers

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 29, 2012

Hmmm... are you sure all the parts are correct Omega parts? If they're correct they should all fit nicely

3. Cmore Nov 29, 2012

That's the question ain't it! Did cousins Uk send me the right dial spacer or did they stuff up, hence the questions above :D everything seems to hinge on the under dial spacer. Maybe the clamps are having an effect too as the omega ones are a different shape from my investigation.

Im going to take some pics later to show what I think may be happening.

Cheers

4. N2FHL Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2012

This is why it is not easy to put a watch together from parts. Omega has a database which specifies the correct dials, spacers and clamps for each case. I would get back to Cousins and have them double check that the parts they sold you are correct.

Steve

5. Cmore Nov 29, 2012

I think that's what i have to do. though I don't really agree on the hard part. I have been modding watches of all kinds for years. As long as the parts are correct its normally a snap to put a watch together. Only when you cant find good information or they send the wrong part does it become seem to be a problem.

Making this watch this way had a two fold benefit to me.
    Cost was less than $1500 Au as opposed to 2.5 or 3k 2nd hand. PO 45's in AU are not cheap to buy, even if I found a nice one 2nd hand OS i get clobbered with duty. What I saved on this build left enough out the watch budget to buy a nice Mk2 speedy to go with my new moonie :)

Plus Its a learning experience and this watch is more uniquely mine than buying a 2nd hand or new PO, I had a hand in its making (sort off) or at least that's what I'm telling myself

Thanks for the replies :) I will keep hunting for an exploded view to make sure nothing is missing, cousins are kind of hard to get info out of and Ofrei are "interesting" to chat to.

Cheers

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 29, 2012

Damn, you have been busy

7. Cmore Nov 29, 2012

LOL i tend to get into things all or nothing, Omega have really caught me in a big way. I just love the shape of seamaster cases in particular :D The mk2 I can take or leave tbh but i loved the 861 in it and cant justify a 321 right now! I was seriously contemplating building a panda speedy with the mk2, but I could not take a watch to bits just to rob the movement, that just seems wrong to me. I would rather restore the mk2 when it arrives.

I would really like an aquaterra also but want a chrono version in white face with blue hands. That's going to take a few months of saving up :D I might be lucky and pick one up in Japan in the new year though.