Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 question

1. Rockland Jan 25, 2012

I am going to buy a Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 movement.
    I am getting a very good discount. My question is should I buy the black bezel POC in stainless steel or the titanium chrono model with the blue bezel? The price is $6000 for the black bezel; $7900 for the Titanium?

With this discount should I bite the bullet and get the Titanium? I liked the heftyness of the stainless steel when I tried them on, however. I have never had a big watch before. In the long run, what makes more sense?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 25, 2012

Very hard question... the titanium has the gloss dial and gloss liquid metal blue bezel as opposed to the matte finishing of the bezel and dial on the black version.

There also seems to be a bit of a waiting list for the Liquid Metal version right now.

Do you have any preference regarding the colour of gloss vs matte finishing?

3. Rockland Jan 25, 2012

I personally liked the black bezel better; but i was just wondering if the titanium is the better buy if i can get it discounted 26% as well?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 25, 2012

Yea, its possibly the better buy but you have to keep in mind, this is your watch, not someone else's and not for resale really. If the black is what you wanted and you buy the blue just because it was a better deal you'll be wishing you had the black. The other thing is unless you really want titanium, its not something you should necessarily go for.

Steel works well because its uniformly heavy, meaning that the bracelet has enough weight and heft to balance the watch head and stop it flopping around. One side effect TI can have is it makes the bracelet light, but the watch head with the movement in it makes the watch top heavy, and gives it a tendency to flop around. The TI is also more easily scratched than steel.

T WIN and meganfox17 like this.
  5. Rockland Jan 26, 2012

Thanks. Truth is i had every intention of buying an orange bezel poc, but i wear a lot of dark business suits and im afraid the orange bezel is way too loud for daily wear. I like the black matte bezel with the black rubber strap a lot too. I guess i will get the black.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2012

There's also the black with orange 12 as an option, looks rather subtle.

7. Rockland Jan 26, 2012

Thats the one im getting.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2012

Yea I like how it matches the chrono orange hand and the seamaster text.

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 26, 2012

As much as I love the blue chrono bezel and dial, I don't personally believe that Ti is a good material for watches or jewellery. My original wedding band was Titanium (seemed like a good idea at the time), and it wore very badly. There was tons of scratches and dents over a short period of time, and there's the strong cloudy patina that develops. It turns a very dull, cheap looking grey. I replaced it within months. I noted similar surface wearing on bits and pieces of our sailboat that were Ti. Great stuff for the aerospace industry and other applications, but for watches? not so much. You'll be doing more refinishing and polishing than with an SS model. Some Ti watches even included special cloths and tools for scratch removal.

"Titanium" is a marketing ploy, as it portrays something more exotic and strong, when in reality the surface is very vulnerable (purely IMO). :cautious:

alam likes this.
  10. Steve Jan 26, 2012

Got to be stainless, The PO is a heavy watch, it has presence, you need to feel the weight on your wrist, TI is just too light for a dive watch.

Omega 9300.jpg

The black dial, orange 12 is the best combo' IMO. :thumbsup: (pic off net)

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. matthewbell Feb 2, 2012

You may have already brought the watch by the time you read this but I personally agree with whoever said to buy the one you were originally going to buy because otherwsie you will be wondering why you went for the other one. You also have to think, if the discounted watch wasnt discount would you buy it or are you buying in because its discounted?
    I hope I have helped and wasn't too late! But if I am I hope my advice will help in the future! :)

12. Rockland Feb 2, 2012

Thanks, I decided on the watch I wanted without considering the discount. I am getting the black bezel chrono orange numeral 9300 cal movement. I would think we all can get a discount on any watch we choose to buy. Seems like Omegas get discounted 25%-30% fairly easily?? Even the new 9300 movement. YMMV.

dsio likes this.
  13. clarencek Feb 19, 2012

Having just picked up the blue Ti I heartily recommend it. It's very comfy. No idea about resale. I think black is a safer buy as the blue can be polarizing. I'm a sucker for Ti and a good discount.
    Congrats on your purchase!

[​IMG]

STEELE and dsio like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Oh NICE! I think you're the first member to have the LM TI. If you get a chance, might want to take some more detail pics and make a new thread, looks great man!

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Yep. Congrats on the LM. There will be plenty of members here ready and willing to drool over your photos.

16. bio Mar 1, 2012

Congrats on your new watch. Wear it in good health!
    If you don't mind me asking, what discount did you manage to score?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2012

I'm keen to hear about that too

18. clarencek Mar 2, 2012

Oh about 25% for the POC Ti. But the SS version is about $3000 cheaper, which I didn't know!
    I wouldn't be comfortable with the weight of the SS version, but if you are, I think it's a much better deal (not sure Ti, Liquid Metal, gloss dial, and the color blue add up to $3K). :)

19. bio Mar 3, 2012

I think you did quite well getting a 25% discount :)

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2012

Indeed, 25% is very nice.