Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean 2500C: Omega Service Swap to 2500D?

1. Lode_Runner Feb 11, 2017

I went into an Omega boutique in Southern California with my Planet Ocean with the 2500C movement to get a new strap, and they asked me if it was due for a service. Technically it is probably due (it's about seven years old), but since it's running perfectly, I declined.

But they told me something interesting that I didn't know. They said that Omega's service center is not "servicing" 2500C movements anymore; when they get a Planet Ocean 2500C model in for servicing, they apparently remove the movement and swap in a new 2500D movement.

Does anyone know if this is really true? Some people (including the authoritative "Archer" guy on this forum) have been saying for years that the 2500D is the better designed movement, but I haven't heard that Omega is actually swapping out 2500Cs as part of ordinary factory servicing.

2. themarshmall0w Feb 11, 2017

The service center will not upgrade a 2500C into a 2500D. The sales person may have been confused with the 2500A, which go to Switzerland to get transformed into I think a 2500B. This picture to me is like looking into the first Honda Civic. There are so many variations of them out there but for some reason looking at the first one is special.

IMG_1828.JPG
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2017

I've only been informed that they will not upgrade one movement to another - the exception to that was the A version that had so many problems that they sort of had no choice.

I'm not aware that the service centers are swapping these out completely. I suppose it's possible, but honestly I find it unlikely.

Cheers, Al

4. w.finkenstaedt Feb 11, 2017

I do as well, wouldn't that necessitate a re-engraving of the serial number on the movement?

5. Lode_Runner Feb 11, 2017

That's why I ask you guys, you know better. The salesperson must have been thinking about a 2500A movement then.

Question while we're on the topic, is there any reason to "service" a Planet Ocean 2500C that's seven years old if it's running fine? Mine is running one second fast per day (with the exception of my Grand Seiko Spring Drive, which is not a fair comparison, the PO2500C is my most accurate watch). While I don't want to waste money on an expensive service (although I'd like to take the scuffs out of the bracelet), if it really needs to be done after this time for longevity purposes, I'll do it.

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 11, 2017

I would think the engraving would be easy. What wouldn't be is certifying the movement as a chronometer with the new serial number. That could add a long time to the service.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

I bought a PO a few months ago with a 2500C. It came with Omega paper work from a service done in June 2016. The movement had not been swapped.

The seller did mention that he had some difficulty selling it because it was the C version and many potential buyers didn't want to buy because of that. Worked out well for me, I got a great deal! (And I've got another watch with a 2500C so, what's one more, right?)

IMG_3783 (1)~2.JPG

Golf1998 and Baz9614 like this.
  8. Moppel Feb 12, 2017

I kinda doubt that Omega would have put "movement swapped" on the receipt. So I guess nobody would notice if this really happened.

@Archer : Or is Omega obliged to do so?

Cheers
    Thomas

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 12, 2017

If you never change the oil in your car then it does not need a service. 7years is like 15k miles....

Archer likes this.
  10. Undersköterskan Feb 12, 2017

Replacing a C with a D routinely during maintenance service is utterly unlikely for several reasons. The C is a perfectly reliable movement and if black residue is spotted on the teeth of the intermediate escape wheel during service (the achilles heel of all two-level co-axial designs), the wheel is simply replaced with a new, upgraded one which isn't prone to show this problem over time. This is a cheap and easy fix. Replacing the whole movement with an entirely new D-movement certified by COSC doesn't make sense at all, primarily due to cost.

Regards
    Undersköterskan